I'm gonna have a serious talk with Croteam one of these days.
The content of this article has been cut or scrapped before its final release.
Overview[edit | edit source]
An even more experimental branch of the original XL2 Lasergun research, this weapon fires a deadly continuous beam that cuts through everything. The XL4 was used by a select few highly trained Earth Defense Force soldiers for secret field testing, where the weapon quickly got the nickname "Ghostbuster", due to its similar nature to a weapon from a certain movie. Using the same power cells as the XL2 Lasergun, this weapon was originally designed to be a replacement to the XM214-A Minigun, however, as it never entered mass production, most soldiers believed this "super weapon" was just the stuff of legends.
The beam fired by the Ghostbuster deals a significant amount of damage to enemies and can kill enemies faster than the XM214-A Minigun can. However, it eats up ammo much faster than the minigun does. Unlike the minigun, the Ghostbuster's beam has a fairly limited maximum range, making it impossible to take out enemies at long range.
The Ghostbuster can be found in Serious Sam Classics: Revolution's version of Alley of the Sphinxes. Right before going through the doors into the large arena, go left and follow the wall until you reach its end. When there, shoot a rocket at the piece of the wall that is right next to the temple.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- The Ghostbuster is a perfect panic weapon for close-range encounters. It's powerful enough to quickly take out anything, from large hordes of Kleer Skeletons to a Major Bio-mechanoid that's too close for comfort.
- Be aware that the Ghostbuster will very quickly burn through electricity. Even if the player has the maximum amount of electricity ammo, it will disappear in a hurry if the player constantly holds the fire key down.
- Briefly tap the gun when using it most of the time. Holding down the fire key will waste ammo in most cases. Constantly holding down the fire key should only be done for dealing with very large hordes of enemies.
- Remember that the Ghostbuster's beam has a limited range. Always make sure that enemies are fairly close before using the Ghostbuster.
- The Ghostbuster can be used as a fairly viable replacement to the lasergun in closer quarters due to the fact that the weapon operates off hitscan damage instead of projectiles, meaning all one has to do to land hits with it is track an enemy with the crosshair.
- Due to the fact that it can't be obtained anywhere in The Second Encounter, Sam will keep the weapon when transitioning time periods if you obtained it from The First Encounter, though it won't have any cells to use from the start.
Fate[edit | edit source]
The Ghostbuster was scrapped from The First Encounter in November 2000, due to the inability to fix the code and model's UV maps. However, its HUD icon and one of its beam textures can still be found in the final game, and its code can be found in the Serious Sam 1 SDK. One of its firing sound appears to have been repurposed for Ugh-Zan III's electric beam firing sound, as it is named “GhostBuster.wav” in the game's files, the Reeban Electro-Fish also uses Ghostbuster's firing sound from the 1999 Publisher Evaluation build. The weapon got far enough in The First Encounter development that it received a new model, which can be seen in its Revolution incarnation with fixed UV maps.
The coding for the Ghostbuster can be found in Test 1, Test 2 and in the SDK.
The idea of a beam-firing weapon was revisited in Serious Sam: Next Encounter's Sirian Power Gun and the Beam Gun from Serious Sam 2. Ironically, the Serious Sam 2 Beam Gun was cut before the game was released, just like the original Ghostbuster was. The original Ghostbuster was made playable in Serious Sam Classics: Revolution.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The Ghostbuster was originally meant to be in The First Encounter. It was a weapon that fires a light-blue colored, electric beam. In the Test 2 phase the beam itself was purely a visual effect, as it is in reality firing a stream of invisible bullets at the target, just like how it functions now in Revolution.
- The Ghostbuster can't be picked up in the 1999 Publisher Evaluation build, but it can be accessed via cheats.
Related achievements[edit | edit source]
|Stuff of Legends|
|Find the XL4P Beam Gun outside of Bright Island.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Ghostbuster obtains its name from the movie Ghostbusters, due to similarities with the main weapon used by the protagonist team.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam: The First Encounter[edit | edit source]
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam Classics: Revolution[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (Game files only)
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)