The Witch-Bride of Achriman is a female, humanoid alien who was originally a sorceress of The Great Council, but she was tricked into serving Mental by Achriman, the Lord of the Shadows. Now, she is trapped between the real world and the world of the shadows.
The Witch-Bride first appears as a boss in the Serious Sam 3: BFE campaign and then as a frequently occurring enemy afterwards.
The Witch-Bride first appears as a boss in The Dark Bride. Later in the game, they appear more frequently as individuals or in small groups.
"Fallen sorceress of The Great Council mislead by the false promises of Mental's vassal Achriman, the ruler of the shadow plane. Their psychokinetic powers allow them to warp space in order to protect themselves or to crush their enemies. Now known as Witch-Brides of Achriman, they are trapped in the limbo between the shadow plane and the physical world. In order to use their spells, they have to temporarily shift into physical existence making them momentarily vulnerable."
Attacks and statsEdit
A Witch-Bride of Achriman has but a few attacks.
- She can inflict crushing damage with her powers from afar which does minor damage over a short period.
- Her second attack is a powerful ranged telekinetic grab that will pick Sam up and crush him, doing moderate damage and restricting aim speed.
With dull purple skin and six tentacles protruding out of her back, a Witch-Bride of Achriman is of regular human size. Despite their appearance, they prefer to keep their distance, using powerful psychokinetic attacks and warping space to protect themselves.
Between attacks, a Witch-Bride will phase out of reality and move to a different location nearby. She can also use her tentacles to deflect incoming attacks including bullets and explosives, which detonate harmlessly in front of her.
Despite their low-damage attacks, Witch-Brides are one of the most difficult enemies to kill in the game. Because they are only vulnerable as they are preparing an attack (which is visible by the glow effect that surrounds them changing from purple or invisible to a bright yellow, their tentacles will begin flailing quickly, and the crosshair starts to show her health), there is only a small window to inflict damage and force them to withdraw before they cause damage.
- You can interrupt her attack by either breaking line-of-sight or shooting her, causing enough damage for her to retreat, usually one rocket or Devastator round is enough. Because she will immediately defend herself and withdraw you can only hit her once with an explosive before she disappears. When your cross-hair changes colour from white to green/yellow/red when aiming at her, she is vulnerable.
- Witch-Brides are best to be taken down with the SBC Cannon. When not having a cannon, the Devastator is the second best option.
- The RAPTOR Sniper Rifle is also an effective option as only a few shots are needed to kill one. Ammuntion for the sniper rifle is rare though, so it is best used for quick elimination of Witch-Brides or as a last resort.
- In addition, Witch-Brides teleport randomly around the battlefield and can appear without warning anywhere they can see Sam. This makes it difficult to combat them if they are amongst other enemies and you cannot pay enough attention to look out for them. On their own though, it is easy to combat this problem. Simply move into a corner or other area with restricted view to reduce the area you have to watch. Witch-Brides have to teleport into open air and have line-of-sight to their target, so this way you can reduce the area they can teleport to and can take quick action.
- When paired with other enemies, the player should try to harm the Witch-Bride with a quick weapon like the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle long enough that it causes her to retreat, so that the player can focus on clearing out other enemies. When the other enemies are dead, the player can finish off the Witch-Bride, if they haven't already.
|Kill a Witch-Bride of Achriman.|
- The first picture of the Witch-Bride looks somewhat different when compared to the one seen in later media. She has the Serious Sam 1 Scythian Witch-Harpy's helmet and a more slender figure. It could be that the old Witch-Bride image was an edited Harpy.
- The Witch-Bride, along with Sandwhales, Cloned Soldiers and Technopolips, are the only enemies that do not make an appearace in Jewel of the Nile.
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE