This is getting serious!
This article contains spoilers. It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing these games.
Ugh-Zan III, also known as The Vicious Warlock, is one of Mental's generals, ranking as Great Admiral in Mental's army. He is the third incarnation of the vicious Ugh-Zan, last of the warlock giants. He has served Mental for millions of years, and was sent by Mental to supervise the assault on Earth, and is the final boss of Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, and Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter.
As large as a mountain, armed well enough to confront an intergalactic cruiser, and endowed with unseen magical powers and the ability to regenerate, Ugh-Zan III is one of the most dangerous creatures in the universe. Appearance-wise, he is a very large creature, with four arms and large, hooved feet. He has two large horns protruding from his head and large teeth. His skin is a brownish or orange-red colour. Unlike his father, Ugh-Zan IV, he does not have cybernetically augmented or artificial arms nor a bio-mechanical quadruped for his legs. He appears to wear armor that resembles a pauldron around his left shoulder, and some kind of loincloth around his waist.
Ugh-Zan III moves at approximately the same speed as the player does (10 speed in the database, just like Sam), has 4 arms, which come with 4 weapons, can breathe fireballs or stomp the player and can regenerate his health when it's low. He regenerates when he has about 5% health left (when the life bar turns red and is nearly empty). He is stunned, disabled and immobilized when hit by the laser beam, so in that case he can't regenerate.
The boss fight comes in 3 stages: running away from him, waiting for the pyramid door to open, and the last fight. In the first stage, you just run away from him, as he chases you through the arena to the Great Pyramid. While you're doing this, Major Bio-mechanoids, Minor Bio-mechanoids, Kleer Skeletons, and Sirian Werebulls will be chasing after you.
In the second stage, you will have to survive against him until the pyramid door opens, which will take some time. Ugh-Zan will take out his lava bomb launcher and laser gun when he reaches the pyramid's ramp.
In the third stage, he will jump inside the pyramid arena, pull out all his 4 weapons (lava bomb launcher, rocket launcher, laser gun, and electric gun). To kill him, you will have to activate all four rings around the arena, get him in the middle and zap him with the spaceship's laser beam. In Serious Sam HD, a laser beam is automatically fired once when you enter the pyramid.
- For obvious reasons, the player should not get close to Ugh-Zan. His stomp is only survivable on Easy and Tourist difficulty, as the player can have up to 300 health and armor and Ugh-Zan's stomp will only deal 500 damage there.
- His rockets and lava bombs/balls are destructible, so try to shoot them if you can't dodge them.
- Try to avoid the laser beams by sidestepping, and the lava bombs by changing direction, since they use the same targeting system as Lava Golem fireballs. The electricity gun will spread more widely in Serious Sam HD than it does in Serious Sam 1.
- The SBC Cannon is definitely the most viable weapon to use against him, followed by the XL2 Lasergun, MK III Grenade Launcher and XPML21 Rocket Launcher. The XM-214-A Minigun can be decent, but just make sure you have enough ammunition.
- Take note that the first time the laser beam fires upon Ugh-Zan (from the SSS Centerprice) will have a slight delay, as the mothership's gates have to open.
In Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter and the Fusion version of Serious Sam 3: BFE, Ugh-Zan III is a playable multiplayer character if one either pre-ordered SSHD: TSE or obtained the Serious Eight DLC. This version of Ugh-Zan III has been scaled down to be as large as Sam and does not have any of his larger counterpart's abilities. Being Ugh-Zan III is just a cosmetic change.
|Hey! That's cheating!|
|Trigger Ugh-Zan's regeneration on The Great Pyramid.|
- Early versions (from 1998–1999) of Ugh-Zan had him holding a minigun and a shield, though another model shows to have a fire rod in his left hand instead of a shield.
- Ugh-Zan was supposed to have 3 heads: his current head, a goat head, and a skull head. These heads can be found as Ugh-Zan's icon in the Test 1 Editor.
- As Ugh-Zan III is mentioned by NETRICSA in Serious Sam 3: BFE (stating that Ugh-Zan IV is the biological father of him), this may imply that Ugh-Zan III is alive during the events of Serious Sam 3. If this is the case, either Mental sent him back in time to kill Sam from the Serious Sam 3: BFE timeline, or this is the Ugh-Zan from the Serious Sam 1 timeline.
- In the PC version of Serious Sam 1, Ugh-Zan had no fingers, while in the Xbox version of Serious Sam 1 he did.
- Two Ugh-Zans can be seen in the original trailer of Serious Sam 2 in the final level, however, in the PC version they became replaced by battle with the Mental Institution. Yet, you can still hear their idle roars in the background if you have the music settings lowered.
- Ugh-Zan's Xbox version made a cameo appearance in the anime Hayate No Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler). Albeit his model was heavily modified. He's missing his lower two arms, his shoulder armor and chest strap, and new horn models.
Serious Sam 1Edit
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (Character only) (Fusion only)
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (Character only)
- Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam: Xbox