The Tower is an automatic sentry weapon that appears in Serious Sam's Bogus Detour. There are three types of towers encountered in the game, each of which fire different types of projectiles.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Towers are automatic sentries that are commonly found guarding Orc bases both inside and outside, where they secure them from intruders. They are usually triggered when pressing buttons or destroying powercells. There are three variants of towers; the laser tower, the composite tower, and anti-material tower.
The laser tower is the most basic and commonly occurring tower, and will fire laser beams at the target. These beams can travel quite fast and deal moderate damage in succession to the target if they are not moving.
The composite tower uses the same base as the laser tower, but with a replaced weapons system. This is a more versatile tower with several different projectile types: heat-seeking, ricocheting and impact-shrapnel. Heat-seeking projectiles are green, and will curve around walls and corners, dealing damage in their path until they dissipate. Ricocheting projectiles are blue, and can ricochet off walls, making them difficult to avoid. Impact-shrapnel projectiles are red, and explode sometime after being fired.
The anti-material tower is equipped with a high-powered railgun. With its special guidance system, it is able to home-in and take down even long-distance targets, such as low-speed aircraft. This tower has a much slower rate of fire than the other towers, but the beams fired by it are far more powerful.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
Laser towers are quite frequent in the game. They are first encountered in Knee Deep in Sand inside an Orc base. Later on in the game, they appear in every level in the game. The anti-material towers appear in Serious Sabotage, while the composite towers appear in Illogical Biological and Interplanetary Ballistic.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- The AS-24 Devastator, Erasergun, Laser Cannon and XPML21 Rocket Launcher are effective against all types of towers, being able to destroy them with just a few shots.
- Towers take extra damage from The Shaft, so be sure to use it whenever possible.
- When towers are firing at the player, they should take cover behind walls or around corners to avoid getting caught in the line of fire. When they stop shooting, immediately come out of cover and fire at them.
- The projectiles fired by the composite tower behave in different ways. Keep that in mind when engaging these types of towers.
- Avoid being hit by the anti-material tower's beams at all costs, as they deal very high damage and can kill the player in one or two hits, especially on Hard or Serious difficulty.
- Avoid the heat-seeking projectiles by taking cover or dashing in the opposite direction they are going in.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)