This is getting serious!
This article contains spoilers. It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing these games.
- "Have you ever wondered what it's really like to be Serious Sam? Have you ever wanted to fight Mental's alien hordes with your own two hands? Well, now you can! Step into the shoes of the Earth Defense Force's greatest hero in this unique VR simulation based on Sam Stone's own log files from his time as captain of the Battlecruiser Saratoga. Experience the missions that turned Captain Stone into the legend that he is today."
- ―Game description
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope is a first-person shooter virtual reality video game developed by Croteam and published by Devolver Digital. It is the third VR game in the Serious Sam series, after Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter and Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter. The game was released on 20 September 2017 and is available for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. The game was first announced on June 13, 2016 at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2016.
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope follows the traditional Serious Sam series of gameplay and elements such as a large arsenal of weapons and a huge number of enemies. The game is developed exclusively for virtual reality glasses with the support of motion controllers, in connection with which the gameplay is somewhat static: the player cannot move through the levels except for a few meters around them, due to the characteristics of VR devices and, as a rule, small room sizes, in which there may be a playing person. Thus, Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope functions as more of an interactive shooting gallery with the extermination of waves of enemies.
During gameplay, the player is given a skill tree to unlock special abilities and improve current stats, as well as weapons. The player's weapon arsenal consists of classic weapons along with specialized weapons such as a bow (with regular and explosive arrows) and an energy sword. Ammunition can be bought in the store with credits collected during combat.
The player will try on the role of the main protagonist of the series, Sam Stone, which for many different levels will have to destroy hordes of Mental's alien army. Sam starts on a spacecraft, the B.C Saratoga, from which he can go on missions on different planets and their locations, as well as select and improve their weapons and protection in between battles. After selecting a level, the player finds themselves in the thematic arena and fight with the waves of arriving enemies. The number of opponents is traditional for many Serious Sam games, and they include both familiar old enemies (Beheaded Kamikazes, Gnaars, etc.) and some new types, including Flying Robots and spherical bots from The Talos Principle. The player’s arsenal is numerous and includes a large number of firearms and cold arms, including a chainsaw, pistols, laser rifles, machine guns, and so on. The developers claimed bosses at the end of each chapter and power packs.
Set prior to the events of Serious Sam 3: BFE, it is the period of the first Mental War. Earth’s defense forces are crumbling under the hordes of the vicious extraterrestrial being Mental. He managed to break the will of many nations by destroying the ancient shrines of the native people. A fearless EDF captain, Sam "Serious" Stone, is leading the resistance from the battlecruiser ‘BC Saratoga’ in a desperate attempt to save the galaxy.
- Adult Arachnoid
- Beheaded Kamikaze
- Beheaded Rocketeer
- Cloned Soldier
- Earth Giant (Boss)
- Hatchling Arachnoid
- Hatchling Antaresian Spider
- Juvenile Antaresian Spider
- Kleer Skeleton
- Lava Golem
- Lightning Man
- Major Bio-mechanoid
- Marsh Hopper
- Metal Snake
- Minor Bio-mechanoid
- Reeban Electro-Fish
- Scythian Witch-Harpy
- Sirian Werebull
- Space Mummy (Boss)
- Witch-Bride of Achriman
- 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun
- AS-24 Devastator
- Double Barrel Coach Gun
- Energy sword
- Laser Pistol
- M29 Infantry Assault Rifle
- P-LAH Chainsaw
- SBC Cannon
- SOP38 Pistol
- Thompson submachine gun
- XL2 Lasergun
- XPML21 Rocket Launcher
- XM214-A Minigun
The game was first announced on June 13, 2016 at E3. The announcement was accompanied by the release of a trailer, a demonstration of gameplay and interviews with Croteam employees at the PC Gaming Show and E3 Live conferences.   A demo of Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope was also presented to journalists at the exhibition site of the publishing house Devolver Digital where everyone could try out the game with virtual reality glasses. Many fans of the franchise, who expected to receive news about the continuation of the series - Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass, the announcement of an exclusive spin-off game for VR glasses was initially perceived very cool; though some felt that the development of Serious Sam 4 was once again postponed due to the new game studio, The Talos Principle.   In this regard, the developers had to release a statement in which they convinced fans that Serious Sam VR is just a small third-party project, while the company's primary goal is still the development of the fourth part. Later it was stated that only four people from the total number of studio employees   were working on a VR-game.
Almost immediately after the announcement, the game page was opened on Steam. The developers said that the game would be available in early access, and the first version was released in the summer of 2016. Over the next six months, Croteam planned to improve the project and add new planets, weapons, enemies, bosses and even more diverse content. As a mandatory technical equipment on the page in the store indicated the presence of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift helmets, as well as motion controllers. In the gameplay demonstrations, released after the E3 exhibition, mostly Egyptian locations were shown, but screenshots and concept art of some other planets, including futuristic and antique places, were also presented on the game page in the Steam store.
Some time after the announcement, the mainstream media reported that developers were offered financial dividends in exchange for the exclusiveness of the game for one platform. Croteam employee Mario Kotlar in one of the topics on the Reddit website said that the virtual reality helmet maker Oculus VR allegedly offered the Croatian team a huge amount of money in exchange for the temporary exclusivity of Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope for Oculus Rift, bypassing the owners of HTC Vive, but the developers rejected this.   The statement of the employee caused a resonance in the circles of VR-enthusiasts and was accompanied by publications in a number of informational publications. 
Soon after, representatives of Oculus made an official statement in which they denied the information on the proposed offer of the financial transaction for Croteam.  Sometime later, Croteam's technical director, Alain Ladavats, also corrected the information of his employee, commenting that the offer of financial assistance to speed up development in exchange for temporary exclusivity was indeed, but there was no complete restriction of the game for one platform.
Especially for Serious Sam VR, developers had created a working prototype of a game controller in the form of a proprietary minigun, made in full size based on a model from Serious Sam 3: BFE/ This controller is fully functional and uses motion sensors and a fire control system from the original HTC Vive controller. Lightweight construction created from readily available materials based on polyurethane tubes and construction drill; when the trigger is clamped, the shooting in the game and the rotation of the minigun shafts are simultaneously controlled. According to the developers, they created three minigun workers in total, but they were made for personal use - for their own entertainment and for advertising purposes. . A unique weapon was demonstrated at the Gamescom and EGX 2016 exhibitions, where everyone could do it with a mini-gun with their own hands, which caused great excitement among journalists and players present. 
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope received positive reviews. The game scored 8.5 out of 10 on UploadVR, stating that "Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope combines frenetic action, testosterone-laden humor and beautiful graphics into a solid VR package that kept me coming back for more punishment. It has few minor blemishes and may not have lasting power for some gamers, but ultimately it’s one of the best VR wave shooters you can play."
The game was also featured in Rock, Paper, Shotgun's list of top 22 VR games for the PC.
- This is the first game in the Serious Sam series to introduce shields, which serve to protect the player from incoming projectiles, apart from physical dodging.
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/serious-sam-vr-last-hope-hits-steam-early-access-summer/
- ↑ https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/15/serious-sam-vr-announced-e3-2016/
- ↑ https://www.tomshardware.com/news/devolver-digital-e3-showcase-hands-on,32107.html
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-vr-summer-steam/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig
- ↑ https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/and-heres-everything-you-missed-from-the-pc-gaming-show/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlS1GsEeqVg&feature=youtu.be&t=3h12m54s
- ↑ https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/03/e3-2016-serious-sam-4/
- ↑ https://3dnews.ru/934650
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Croteam/status/742419419721256960
- ↑ https://stopgame.ru/newsdata/28467
- ↑ https://store.steampowered.com/app/465240/
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/day-0-e3-whats-serious-sam-vr/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4nxpnq/fuck_facebook_and_fuck_oculus/
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-oculus-offered-shitton-money-rift-exclusivity/
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-oculus-offered-shitton-money-rift-exclusivity/
- ↑ https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-vr-exclusives-theyre-bad-for-everyone/
- ↑ https://www.pcworld.com/article/3083774/consumer-electronics/its-complicated-oculus-and-croteam-explain-serious-sam-vr-exclusivity-buyout-offer.html
- ↑ https://www.dsogaming.com/news/oculus-issues-official-statement-serious-sam-vr-last-hope-offer/
- ↑ https://kotaku.com/oculus-rift-exclusivity-debate-heats-up-over-serious-sa-1781994500
- ↑ https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/764109451301445634/photo/1
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-vr-croteam-minigun/
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/minigun-live-action/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7RxUmJoB9k
- ↑ https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/some-monster-has-made-a-minigun-out-of-a-htc-vive-controller-and-a-drill--1329175
- ↑ https://www.wareable.com/vr/with-playstation-vr-coming-up-htc-is-bringing-out-the-big-guns
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/serious-sam-vr-last-hope-review-serious-action-serious-fun/
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/serious-sam-vr-the-last-hope
- ↑ https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/28/best-vr-games-for-pc/7/
- Launch trailer: Teaser trailer for Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope.