Serious Sam Fusion is a video game compilation of six games: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter, Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter, and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE. Currently, the game is in the beta stage, but is free to owners of any of the original games.
Serious Sam Fusion is a central hub for Serious Sam games that enables integration of new engine features, patches, and upgrades.
Many new features have been included. There is now splitscreen support, proper multi monitor support, and a new “light-weight” save system that allows the user to save their progress much faster. Perhaps the biggest benefit of using Fusion is experienced in multiplayer, as this new hub lets people to play cross-platform on Windows, Steam OS, Mac, and Linux. This allows players and VR players to play the same games together. There is full support for all controllers including Steam controllers, PS4 gamepads, Xbox One controllers and all older DInput joysticks.
Serious Sam Fusion features Tobii Eye Tracking technology, which enables players to use Aim at Gaze to target enemies by aiming with their eyesight. Features like Extended View and Clean UI make gameplay more immersive and allow the player to seamlessly experience the spectacular landscapes, without modifying traditional controls. Compatible eye tracking devices include: Tobii Eye Tracker 4C, Alienware 17 Notebook, Acer Predator Notebook 21 X, MSI GT72 Notebook, and Acer Predator Monitors Z301CT, Z271T, and XB271HUT.
Many changes and tweaks are included in Serious Sam Fusion, as well as many new features:
- Various changes for weapons:
- The 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun, M29 Infantry Assault Rifle and SOP38 Pistol have new firing sounds, reduced reload times (except for the SOP38), and increased accuracy and range.
- The pump shotgun can now carry 15 shells instead of the usual 10, and the M29 can carry up to 50 rounds per magazine.
- The SOP38 now has very little to no spread when hip firing.
- The UH-60 Black Hawk shown in the cutscene in The Silent Riddler now appears at the end of the level.
- The Kleer Skeleton that spawns after picking up the secret armor shard in Broken Wings only appears on Serious difficulty.
- Gnaars have new running animations in Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam VR.
- Super Armor now appears as a functioning item in the last level of the Serious Sam 3 campaign. Previously, the item could only be found in the game's files.
- Enemy spawning has been altered and/or improved in all games.
- Enemies in Serious Sam 3 have a chance to use a special type of ranged attack on Serious difficulty.
- An HD remake of the opening intro from Serious Sam: The Second Encounter has been added to Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter.
- The Sirian ship that launches at the ending cutscene of The Grand Cathedral now takes off faster.
- The Scrapjack and Witch-Bride of Achriman have reduced health.
- Sam's car will now disappear in The Guardian of Time instead of remaining where it was.
- New secrets have been added in Summer in Cairo, The Silent Riddler and Unearthing the Sun.
- The secret Extra Large Health in The Power of the Underworld has been moved on top of the northernmost temple.
- The Khnum and Aurigan Cave Demon's eyes have a more visible glow.
- All games now support SteamOS, Linux and OSX platforms.
- New achievements.
- 64-bit executables.
- Borderless window support.
- Multithreaded rendering.
- Customizable sound outputs.
- Proper 3D audio using a proprietary sound-mixer (the same approach as used in the old Classic games).
- Texture streaming in all games.
- Much better modding support with customizable weapons and items, improved scripting (including better support for scripting networked games).
- A new improved physics engine with better handling of character movement.
- A new multiplayer map: Elephant Temple.
Changes to soundtrack
All of Serious Sam: Xbox-exclusive music tracks make a return in survival and multiplayer maps:
- Survival mode:
- The music for Death from Above has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Temple of Gilgamesh.
- The music for Deep Hole has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of The Citadel.
- Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Insta-Kill, Last Man Standing, Team Last Man Standing and My Burden modes:
- The music for Hoodlum's Backyard and Horus Web has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Luxor.
- The music for Brkeen Chevap has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Catacombs.
- The music for the Fusion-exclusive map Elephant Temple is a mix of the music tracks of Tower of Babel.
- The music for Fronto has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of The Citadel.
- The music for Jump Over has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Inner Sanctum.
- The music for Medieval Rage has been replaced with the music track of Corridor of Death.
- The music for Sun Palace has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Gates of Persepolis.
- Capture the Flag mode:
- The music for Ashes to Ashes has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Lava Caves. Previously, the map only used the "attack" track.
- The music for Forest Run has been replaced with a mix of the two music tracks of Valley of the Jaguar.
Serious Sam Fusion scored positive reviews. GameGrin gave the game an 8 out of 10, saying "Serious Sam Fusion" successfully brings the series up to date and in a unified interface. A great way to revisit Sam’s adventures and experience them in the best possible light."