- "Developed by true shooter veterans in Croteam, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass reignites the classic series by improving on the old-school formula. Enjoy the high-adrenaline action combat with an unbelievably destructive arsenal and experience Sam's iconic enemy-annihilating circle-strafing and backpedaling dance-routine on an even bigger scale."
- ―Game summary
Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass is an upcoming first-person shooter video game in the Serious Sam series. The game has been scheduled to be released sometime in 2020. There will be versions for PC (Windows, Linux, Macintosh), PS4, and Xbox One.
The game was announced in June 2014 that Croteam was working on Serious Sam 4. To help fund development, Croteam released the Serious Sam Humble Bundle, from which all revenue will go towards game development.
On September 25, 2015, Croteam announced that Jonas and Verena Kyratzes will be writing the story for Serious Sam 4. Later, Jonas Kyratzes wrote on Facebook the following statement in response to a timeline question: "OK, I can officially tell you that Sam 4 is set on Earth, and given what happened to Earth at the end of Sam 3...." indicating that Serious Sam 4 is going to take place before Serious Sam 3: BFE, during the war. This statement was later confirmed by Croteam on December 25th, indicating Serious Sam 4 is a prequel to Serious Sam 3.
The maps will be much larger than in previous Serious Sam games. There will be large-scale environments that feature optional quests, secrets, and much more, but gameplay will still be like in the other games, and not so much as an open-world game.
As these environments will be hard or time-consuming to traverse on foot, vehicles such as a motorcycle will appear, to make getting around the large maps easier.
The confirmed weapons so far are:
- Assault rifle
- Desert Eagle
- Double shotgun
- Laser rifle (seen carried by the Cloned Soldiers)
- Rocket launcher
- SBC Cannon
- Sniper rifle
New weapons are yet to be confirmed.
A few vehicles have been mentioned or will appear in Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass:
- Bulletproof popemobile
- Combine harvester (confirmed by Pre-Alpha footage)
- Motorcycle (confirmed by screenshots, Pre-alpha footage and teaser trailer)
Other gameplay featuresEdit
Sprinting, iron sights and reloading from Serious Sam 3 will return most likely. Sprinting will be an integral part of the gameplay of all future installments, including Serious Sam 4. (Source?) It's also likely that the game will an updated version of the Serious Engine.
It is still unknown if the game will offer brand new features or power-ups.
It is known so far that Serious Sam 4 will include some old faces, but not all classic ones. It has not yet been confirmed if the game will offer new variations of classic enemies. Some enemies from Serious Sam 3 will likely make a return.
Leaked gameplay footage and some screenshots have confirmed that these enemies will be appearing:
- Beheaded Kamikaze
- Cloned Soldier
- Kleer Skeleton
- Major Bio-mechanoid
- Minor Bio-mechanoid
- Scythian Witch-Harpy
- Sirian Werebull
Serious Sam 4 will include all gamemodes presented in Serious Sam HD, Serious Sam VR, and Serious Sam 3. It is not yet decided if there will be new ones. It is possible to include gamemodes, debuted in Serious Sam Classics: Revolution, like the Control Zones mode.
Confirmed maps for the Serious Sam 4's versus are Desert Temple, Brkeen Chevap and Little Trouble. It is possible for a few more old maps to be remade, and there will also be new ones. Desert Temple will have CTF as well.
- ↑ http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/serious-sam-4-planet-badass-release-date-gameplay-3456796
- ↑ http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpost.php?p=1111372&postcount=28
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/serious-sam-4-cancelled/
- ↑ http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpost.php?p=1112553&postcount=65
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1007304086616567808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjasonevangelho%2F2018%2F06%2F15%2Fseriously-serious-sam-4-pits-you-against-100000-onscreen-enemies%2F
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-pdXyR2s8