Serious Sam 4 (previously known as Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass) is an upcoming first-person shooter video game currently being developed by Croteam. The game has been scheduled to be released in August 2020. It will be released by Devolver Digital for Microsoft Windows via Steam, Linux, and Google Stadia, with PS4 and Xbox One versions likely to be following in 2021 after an exclusivity contract with Google Stadia ends.
On September 25, 2015, Croteam announced that Jonas and Verena Kyratzes will be writing the story for Serious Sam 4. Later, Jonas Kyratzes wrote on Facebook the following statement in response to a timeline question: "OK, I can officially tell you that Sam 4 is set on Earth, and given what happened to Earth at the end of Sam 3...." indicating that Serious Sam 4 is going to take place before Serious Sam 3: BFE, during the Mental War. This statement was later confirmed by Croteam on December 25th, indicating Serious Sam 4 is a prequel to Serious Sam 3.
It is known so far that Serious Sam 4 will include some old faces, but not all classic ones. It has not yet been confirmed if the game will offer new variations of classic enemies. Most enemies from Serious Sam 3: BFE are also making a return, along with a few enemies from Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope.
Leaked gameplay footage and some screenshots have confirmed that these enemies will be appearing:
- Adult Arachnoid
- Aludran Reptiloid
- Beheaded Firecracker
- Beheaded Kamikaze
- Beheaded Rocketeer
- Brute Zealot
- Cloned Soldier (including a new grenade-throwing variant and laser-rifle carrying variant)
- Harvester Mothership
- Kleer Skeleton
- Major Bio-mechanoid
- Minor Bio-mechanoid
- Scythian Witch-Harpy
- Sirian Werebull
- Space Mummy
- Witch-Bride of Achriman
- Yet-to-be-named black armored cyborg enemy that uses a shield
- Yet-to-be-named flying humanoid enemy with a cape
- Yet-to-be-named gas-mask wearing enemy that has a jet-pack and carries a flamethrower
- Yet-to-be-named insect-like enemy
- Yet-to-be-named giant humanoid enemy (possible boss)
The confirmed weapons so far are:
- 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun
- AS-24 Devastator
- Auto shotgun
- Double Barrel Coach Gun
- M29 Infantry Assault Rifle
- MK 4 Grenade Launcher
- RAPTOR Sniper Rifle
- SBC Cannon
- SOP38 Pistol
- XL2 Lasergun
- XM214-A Minigun
- XPML26 Rocket Launcher
- Bulletproof popemobile
- Combine harvester (confirmed by pre-alpha footage and screenshots)
- Motorcycle (confirmed by screenshots, pre-alpha footage and teaser trailer)
Sprinting, iron sights and reloading from Serious Sam 3 will all return. Sprinting will be an integral part of the gameplay of all future installments, including Serious Sam 4. It's also likely that the game will use an updated version of the Serious Engine. According to Croteam developers, gameplay will be a lot more challenging than the previous games, starting from the first level onwards, saying that it will be "full Sam from the beginning".
It's still unknown if the game will offer brand new features or power-ups.
Serious Sam 4 will include all gamemodes presented in Serious Sam HD, Serious Sam VR, and Serious Sam 3. It is not yet decided if there will be new ones. It is possible to include gamemodes, debuted in Serious Sam Classics: Revolution, like the control zones mode.
Confirmed maps for the Serious Sam 4's versus are Desert Temple, Brkeen Chevap and Little Trouble. It is possible for a few more old maps to be remade, and there will also be new ones. Desert Temple will have CTF as well.
The maps will be much larger than in previous Serious Sam games. There will be large-scale environments that feature optional quests, secrets, and much more, but gameplay will still be like in the other games, and not so much as an open-world game.
As these environments will be hard or time-consuming to traverse on foot, vehicles such as a motorcycle will appear, to make getting around the large maps easier.
The game was announced in June 2014 that Croteam was working on Serious Sam 4. To help fund development, Croteam released the Serious Sam Humble Bundle, from which all revenue will go towards game development.
- ↑ https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/05/21/the-ridiculous-reason-serious-sam-4-isnt-coming-to-ps4-or-xbox-one-in-2020/
- ↑ https://www.sector.sk/novinka/225872/serious-sam-4-ponuka-dalsi-teasing.htm
- ↑ https://indiannoob.in/serious-sam-4-footage-shows-the-new-auto-shotgun-in-action/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtiCRJKVIA
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1007304086616567808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjasonevangelho%2F2018%2F06%2F15%2Fseriously-serious-sam-4-pits-you-against-100000-onscreen-enemies%2F
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sFr7tnGB0
- ↑ http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpost.php?p=1111372&postcount=28
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/serious-sam-4-cancelled/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-pdXyR2s8