Serious Sam 4 is an upcoming first-person shooter video game currently being developed by Croteam. The game has been scheduled to be released in September 24th, 2020. It is the prequel to Serious Sam 3: BFE.
It will be released by Devolver Digital for Microsoft Windows via Steam, Linux, and Google Stadia, with PS4 and Xbox One versions likely to be following in 2021 after an exclusivity contract with Google Stadia ended.
Taking place during the Mental War and prior to the events of Serious Sam 3, humanity is under siege as the full force of Mental’s hordes spread across the world, ravaging what remains of a broken and beaten civilization. The last remaining resistance to the invasion is the Earth Defense Force led by Sam “Serious” Stone and his heavily-armed squad of misfit commandos.
It is known so far that Serious Sam 4 will include nearly all of the enemies from Serious Sam 1. Most enemies from Serious Sam 3 are also making a return, along with a few enemies from Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. It has also been confirmed that the game will offer some new variations of classic enemies
- Adult Arachnoid
- Aludran Reptiloid
- Beheaded Bomber
- Beheaded Firecracker
- Beheaded Kamikaze
- Beheaded Rocketeer
- Brute Zealot
- Cloned Soldier (including variants that wield missile launchers and laser rifles, as well as ones that throw grenades. The ones with missile launchers are equipped with shields)
- Harvester Mothership
- Hover Drones (ridden by Cloned Soldiers)
- Kleer Skeleton
- Major Bio-mechanoid
- Minor Bio-mechanoid
- Scythian Witch-Harpy
- Sirian Werebull
- Space Mummy
- Witch-Bride of Achriman
- Yet-to-be-named new yellow-shirted beheaded soldier
- Yet-to-be-named flying humanoid enemy with a cape
- Yet-to-be-named insect-like enemy
- Yet-to-be-named giant humanoid enemy (possible boss)
The confirmed weapons so far are:
- 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun
- AS-24 Devastator
- Auto Shotgun
- Chainsaw launcher
- Double Barrel Coach Gun
- Heavy Lasergun
- M29 Infantry Assault Rifle
- MK 4 Grenade Launcher
- RAPTOR Sniper Rifle
- SBC Cannon
- SOP38 Pistol
- XL2 Lasergun
- XM214-A Minigun
- XPML26 Rocket Launcher
- Bulletproof popemobile
- Chopper Helicopter (confirmed by Damjan Mravunac in an interview with Screen Rant)
- Combine harvester (confirmed by pre-alpha footage and screenshots)
- Motorcycle (confirmed by screenshots, pre-alpha footage and teaser trailer)
Sprinting, iron sights and reloading from Serious Sam 3 will all return. Sprinting will be an integral part of the gameplay of all future installments, including Serious Sam 4. It's also likely that the game will use an updated version of the Serious Engine. According to Croteam developers, gameplay will be a lot more challenging than the previous games, starting from the first level onwards, saying that it will be "full Sam from the beginning".
As seen from the trailer and updated gameplay footage, a few weapons such as the lasergun and rocket launcher have alternate fire modes, such as the lasergun unleashing a powerful beam that deals rapid damage to enemies or the rocket launcher firing multiple rockets at once. Weapons can also be dual-wielded, just like in the virtual reality Serious Sam games.
It's still unknown if the game will offer brand new features or power-ups.
Serious Sam 4 will include all gamemodes presented in Serious Sam HD, Serious Sam VR, and Serious Sam 3. It is not yet decided if there will be new ones. It is possible to include gamemodes, debuted in Serious Sam Classics: Revolution, like the control zones mode.
Confirmed maps for the Serious Sam 4's versus are Desert Temple, Brkeen Chevap and Little Trouble. It is possible for a few more old maps to be remade, and there will also be new ones. Desert Temple will have CTF as well.
The maps will be much larger than in previous Serious Sam games. There will be large-scale environments that feature optional quests, secrets, and much more, but gameplay will still be like in the other games, and not so much as an open-world game.
As these environments will be hard or time-consuming to traverse on foot, vehicles such as a motorcycle will appear, to make getting around the large maps easier.
Development of Serious Sam 4 was confirmed in June 2013. To help fund development, Croteam released the Serious Sam Humble Bundle, from which all revenue would go towards game development.
During developing and playtesting of the jammer feature - a movable device that can disable objects within a small radius - the team proposed that this along with other game mechanics would be better of being included in a different game, The Talos Principle, which was released in 2014. In September 2015, the co-writers of the game, Jonas Kyratzes and his wife, Verena, were announced as the screenwriters for Serious Sam 4.
Serious Sam 4 was announced under the name Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass in April 2018, during the opening of the Reboot Develop 2018 conference in Croatia, with a teaser trailer. One level was demonstrated behind closed doors at E3 2018 that June. At the time, the game was planned to be released in 2019.
In May 2020, Serious Sam 4 was re-announced without the Planet Badass subtitle and with a release window of August 2020 for Microsoft Windows and Stadia. It was later delayed to 24 September. Due to an exclusivity deal with Stadia, versions for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were postponed to early 2021.
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/serious-sam-4-has-been-delayed-slightly-locking-in/1100-6480619/
- ↑ https://kotaku.com/stadia-exclusivity-will-keep-serious-sam-4-off-ps4-and-1843568732/
- ↑ https://www.sector.sk/novinka/225872/serious-sam-4-ponuka-dalsi-teasing.htm
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrAJpxjKaU
- ↑ https://indiannoob.in/serious-sam-4-footage-shows-the-new-auto-shotgun-in-action/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRtiCRJKVIA
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1007304086616567808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fjasonevangelho%2F2018%2F06%2F15%2Fseriously-serious-sam-4-pits-you-against-100000-onscreen-enemies%2F
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sFr7tnGB0
- ↑ http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpost.php?p=1111372&postcount=28
- ↑ http://www.croteam.com/serious-sam-4-cancelled/
- ↑ https://gamasutra.com/view/news/237807/Reactive_game_dev_How_Serious_Sam_4_became_The_Talos_Principle.php
- ↑ https://www.polygon.com/2015/3/2/8134649/talos-principle-reactive-development-gdc-2015
- ↑ https://www.pcgamer.com/the-talos-principle-writer-signs-up-for-serious-sam-4/
- ↑ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-19-croteam-announces-serious-sam-4-planet-badass
- ↑ https://kotaku.com/serious-sam-4-is-aiming-for-100-000-enemies-on-screen-a-1826963510
- ↑ https://www.shacknews.com/article/105764/serious-sam-4-interview-first-encounters-of-the-badass-kind
- ↑ https://www.engadget.com/serious-sam-4-pc-august-release-date-001429033.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIm_gauPLza_CYG1lyyjfs74ZfE6ePUlnzMB3vCKJyw0dDnRJSHEypdilsz7HgWYnww3ZIKh1PIMhgknZBujuAbiO_vIM3ToUcrHIO5bZqiTnG2JqGF4frbxFnQyrpjSObDAp9q8X6TmZgYJ4I-BMoV-pDUI1egAIi92O6-jVaqC
- ↑ https://www.pcgamer.com/serious-sam-4-threatens-to-put-100000-enemies-on-your-screen-at-once/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-pdXyR2s8