The Sandwhale is a massive worm-like creature that lives in the sands of Egypt. It is unknown if it is part of Mental's forces, as it was brought to Earth in their microscopic larval state from a desert planet in Gamma Pegasi, probably due to landing pad contamination. Despite their name, they are not related to whales, but are in fact worms of polychaeta class.
If the player gets too far from the level, the Sandwhale will start growling and shake the ground. If the player continues to wander further from the playing area, the Sandwhale will suddenly appear and eat them.
A Sandwhale first appears in the opening custecene, where it attempts to devour the UH-60 Black Hawk that Sam and his squad are flying on. Luckily, the helicopter narrowly dodges the Sandwhale. Later in the campaign, Sandwhales become rather common in the desert areas outside of Cairo. They also sometimes randomly appear, diving in sand and probably devouring some random prey, far in the background.
Sandwhales are not present in Serious Sam: The First Encounter due to being set in a different timeline. Even if the player wanders from away from the map in desert areas, they will instead slowly start to lose health due to heat damage.
Behavior and skillsEdit
Sandwhales mostly feed on minerals and sediments, and don't usually prey on other organisms. However, they are highly territorial creatures; if they are disturbed, an aggravated Sandwhale can swallow a heavy assault tank whole without chewing. They are so well protected by their thick scales that there are no known ways to kill one short of nuclear weapons. The short stubs along their backs are thought to be a kind of very sensitive cilia, allowing them to feel presence of intruders walking on sand from some distance away. These scales are sensitive enough to detect a cat walking on sand from up to 10 miles away.
Sandwhales are the most powerful enemies in the game. If the player is devoured by a Sandwhale, they will be killed instantly. They cannot be fought, nor does the player have the firepower necessary to destroy it, but ultimately you can use it to help you defeat the final boss, as Ugh-Zan IV sometimes walks up to the sand and growls, calling the Sandwhale to fight it.
- For obvious reasons, the player should stray too far from the map, even if they are being outnumbered by enemies, as death by a Sandwhale is always certain.
- When the player starts to see the sand shaking and the Sandwhale coming towards them, they should get back within the map boundary immediately.
- In the game's files, there's a "wound" and "death" sound in the Sandwhale's folder.
- This enemy seems to be heavily inspired by the Sandworm from Dune and the Graboid from the Tremors franchise.
- There are certain tactics to avoid the Sandwhale's attack on some levels, which can help speedrunners.
- Some of the Sandwhale's sounds seem to be recycled from the Serious Sam 2 Kwongo boss stage.
- The jetpack will overheat instantly if the player flies far enough into desert to provoke the Sandwhale.
- After Sam defeats Ugh-Zan IV and escapes just before the Moon is sent crashing into the Earth, it is presumed that any Sandwhale on the planet at the time were also killed.