The SOP38 Pistol is a semi-automatic handgun featured in Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE and Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. It is the standard firearm used by the Earth Defense Force. It is set to also make an appearance in Serious Sam 4.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The SOP38 is a special-issue of Special Operations Pistol from 2038 that has proven its combat effectiveness on numerous battlefields across the universe. It holds 10 rounds in its magazine, but has unlimited ammunition. The player is able to use its iron sights to fire more accurate shots.
With a very efficient semi-automatic mechanism, the pistol's ROF is virtually only limited by the speed of the user. This small gem can unload a burst of damage into an opponent, but its small magazine capacity precludes its use in massive fights. The .45 ACP rounds are decent enough for last-resort defense or elimination of weaker enemies. The pistol's firepower appears to be equal to that of the Schofield .45 and Colt Anaconda, as it takes two shots from the pistol to kill a Beheaded Kamikaze or a Beheaded Rocketeer.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
Sam first acquires the pistol in the first level of the Serious Sam 3: BFE campaign, Summer in Cairo, next to a fallen EDF soldier. In Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, the pistols are the first weapons the player starts with. Later in the campaign, Sam reacquires the pistol again in The Lost Temples of Nubia after losing all his weapons.
In Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE and Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, the pistol is dual-wielded and equipped with laser sights. It also doesn't have to be reloaded.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Iron sights are needed for long-range shots. Otherwise, the bullet will most likely miss. In Serious Sam Fusion, the pistol's spread has been improved, allowing for more accurate hip-firing.
- The pistol's low recoil makes it relatively easy to quickly fire the gun while retaining some accuracy past short range, though the bullet spread means that they won't always hit a target. Instead, one or two shots should be fired at a time to hit enemies at medium to long range.
- It is only effective against very weak enemies such as Beheaded Kamikazes, Beheaded Rocketeers, Cloned Soldiers, and Hatchling Antaresian Spiders. It is also effective on Gnaars, but it takes almost an entire magazine to kill one, making it ineffective against groups unless as a last resort.
- The pistol is effective against close-range Kamikazes. One shot will stun them, giving the player enough room to get far enough away to shoot and kill the Kamikaze while away from its explosion radius.
- Its infinite ammo makes it useful for when the player is either out of ammo or wants to conserve ammo in levels where ammo is scarce.
- On Tourist difficulty, it kills Kamikazes, Hatchling Spiders and Rocketeers with one shot, and Cloned Soldiers with two shots.
- Keeping track of how many shots are necessary to kill an enemy can be very helpful on Serious difficulty. This could allow you to use the pistol to quickly dispatch an enemy when they are a reasonable distance away, before they become a real threat, and before you need to use finite ammo to kill them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The SOP38 is the only weapon in the game with infinite ammunition, but NETRISCA does not state if the pistol is fitted with a techno-magical ammunition replenisher like the Schofield .45. However, the pistol still has to be reloaded manually.
- The SOP38 had a different model in the demo on the GC.
- The pistol has a different firing sound in Serious Sam Fusion.
- The SOP38 appears to be modeled after the Desert Eagle, though it has a larger magazine size than any real-life variation of the Desert Eagle and is chambered to fire .45 ACP rounds.
- Even though Sam refers to the pistol as 'Smith & Wesson', an American company that produces revolver-type handguns, the IMI Desert Eagle was not designed by S&W, but the Israel Military Industries and Magnum Research.
- The grip has Serious Sam's logo on it.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam 4 (Upcoming)