The Rotating Cannon is an autonomous artillery weapon that appears in Serious Sam: The Second Encounter and various remakes of the game. Unlike the Static Cannon, the rotating cannon can rotate 180 degrees on its base.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The rotating cannon is a medieval cannon attached to a rotating wooden base. Mental was amazed with the concept of Sam's most powerful weapon and so tried to create something similar; he enhanced an ordinary medieval cannon with an auto-loading system, radar and ammunition replenisher, making it an effective and dangerous stand-alone defense unit.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
Like the static cannon, the rotating cannon is fairly rare, and only appears in Land of the Damned and The Grand Cathedral, where they are often placed in far away places, such as on the top of buildings or walls. They are often placed in pairs of three, though more are encountered on higher difficulties.
Operation[edit | edit source]
If the cannon detects the player while it is spinning around, it will fire a fast cannonball at them; the cannonballs can deal a lot of damage to an unsuspecting player, and can easily take away a lot of health and/or armor or kill the player if the cannon is not destroyed soon enough.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- As with the static cannon, the RAPTOR Sniper Rifle will destroy it in a single shot if it is shot while zoomed. This is the best anti-rotating cannon weapon, and should always be used against it whenever possible.
- If you're low on sniper ammo, you can also use the XPML21 Rocket Launcher against it.
- The rotating cannon should be a high-priority target as soon as it is spotted. Its cannonballs can easily kill the player, and their rotating makes it easier for them to detect and shoot at the player. The rotating cannon makes it harder to avoid other enemy projectiles, as the player needs to juggle avoiding the rotating cannon's “eyesight” and its projectiles.
- Rotating cannons aren't always encountered alone, so the player should expect to fight more when they see a cannonball whizzing past them.
- Some rotating cannons are placed on elevated locations, such as towers, so the player always needs to keep an eye out.
Related achievements[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam Fusion[edit | edit source]
|Mine's bigger than yours|
|Destroy an enemy cannon with your own cannon.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Like the static cannon, the rotating cannon has a NETRICSA description in Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, but not in Serious Sam HD. Its description is in the game's files in Serious Sam HD, but it never appears in-game. This is fixed in Serious Sam Fusion 2017.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)