The RAPTOR Sniper Rifle is a powerful long-ranged sniper rifle that appears in many games throughout the Serious Sam series.
The RAPTOR is one of the most powerful long-range weapons in the world. The 16mm armor-piercing, Kevlar coated bullets will pass right through most known armor types. It is deadly against weak enemies, being able to take them in one shot, but multiple shots are required to take down tougher targets.
A flexible 2x-4x zoom ratio allows the shooter to choose between a larger peripheral field of view and more precise aim at longer distances. The use of an auto-stabilizing, rapid-fire mechanism allows one to fire an entire clip without taking their eye off the scope. The RAPTOR in Serious Sam 1 has an automatic excess pressure exhaust mechanism that will lower the exit speed of the bullet when it is not fired from a balanced sniping mode. This provides maximum safety and minimizes injuries to the weapons wielder.
The RAPTOR fires a single bullet every time the fire key is pressed. There is a brief pause between shots while the player chambers a new round in. After that, the gun can be fired again. The weapon has a scope that lets the player zoom in to 8.0x. The scope itself has a crosshair that shows where the center of the screen is. On the lower left-hand side of the scope is a triangle that will change color depending on the gun's state; it will be green if the gun is ready to fire, while it will be red during the reload animation.
In Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam VR, the damage the RAPTOR does is dependent on the player using the scope or not; if the player is not using the scope, each shot is about as powerful as a 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun blast. If the rifle is fired while the scope is being used, it will be almost as powerful as two rockets. Either way, the weapon will always be perfectly accurate, like most bullet-firing weapons. This is in contrast to its original appearance, where the weapon dealt the same amount of damage regardless of whether it is zoomed in or not, but would fire wildly off-center from the crosshair if firing without the scope.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, the RAPTOR sees an increase to damage and is now semi automatic instead of bolt-action. Like in the original The First Encounter and The Second Encounter, the weapon now has high recoil and does the same damage scoped as it does unscoped; to compensate however, the weapon is now extremely inaccurate when unscoped, having a wider spread than even the pump-action shotgun.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, the RAPTOR is much rarer, appearing only twice throughout the campaign, and only as a secret. In the Jewel of the Nile DLC, however, the sniper rifle appears as an ordinary weapon, and ammo for it is plentiful.
In Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, the RAPTOR can be bought from the weapons menu, and no longer appears in secrets as none appear throughout the game.
Serious Sam 1Edit
- The RAPTOR is excellent for thinning out a horde of weak/medium strength enemies from a distance, such as Kleer Skeletons and Scythian Witch-Harpies. However, if the horde is getting close to the player, they should switch to another weapon because the RAPTOR is not very effective in close quarters.
- Individual medium-strength enemies, such as Zumb'uls, Arachnoids, Sirian Werebulls and Minor Bio-mechanoids can also be quickly defeated with this weapon. This can be quite useful for quickly eliminating single to medium-sized groups of medium-strength enemies, especially if they are faraway.
- Using the sniper rifle to take out individual enemies with low health (such as beheaded enemies or Zorgs) is a waste of ammunition and are best dealt with using rapid-firing weapons.
- Its scope makes the RAPTOR a great weapon to locate and kill enemies placed faraway from the player, such as Fiendian Reptiloid Demon.
- Despite what NETRICSA says, the RAPTOR is moderately useful against large enemies such as Major Bio-mechanoids, being able to defeat these enemies in roughly four shots. Despite that, it's more ammo-efficient to use the rocket launcher on said large enemies, as the rounds for the RAPTOR are best spent elsewhere.
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
- As ammunition is scarce for the RAPTOR in the Serious Sam 3 campaign, it is best to use the weapon as a last resort against tough enemies such as Major Bio-mechanoids or Scrapjacks, though it is more effective to do this when they have taken sufficient damage.
- The RAPTOR is ideally the best weapon to use against groups of Scythian Witch-Harpies, especially in Jewel of the Nile, where they are more common.
- The RAPTOR is also a great weapon against Common Aludran Reptiloids and Adult Arachnoids. It only takes about 4 or 5 shots to kill one.
- If you have plenty of ammo for the sniper rifle in Jewel of the Nile, the sniper can be used to quickly take out small groups of Hatchling Arachnoids.
Serious Sam VR: The Last HopeEdit
- The RAPTOR, especially when dual-wielded, is extremely useful for taking groups of Adult Arachnoids, Cloned Snipers, Juvenile Antaresian Spiders and Zumb'uls.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The RAPTOR was probably going to be reloadable at one point, you can see it if you open its file in Serious Editor 3.5 and enable the "Shoots to reload" parameter. According to its animation, it was probably going to have the same reload animation as the shotgun.
Serious Sam HD: The Second EncounterEdit
|Kill 100 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.|
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
|Find the Vista secret.|
Serious Sam Fusion 2017Edit
|Kill 20 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.|
- The RAPTOR sniper rifle appears to be based on several models:
- In Serious Sam 1 the rifle is a modified Heckler & Koch HK41, a semi-automatic version of the Heckler & Koch G3. The only difference between these is the SS1 version has a wood and chrome finish.
- In Serious Sam 2, like the RAPTOR from Serious Sam 1, the sniper rifle is also a modified Heckler & Koch HK41. The only difference between these is the SS2 version having a dark green and black coloration (as well as different scope sizes).
- In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the weapon model is a GIAT FR F2, a French 7.62 NATO bolt-action sniper rifle. Also, despite the FR F2 being bolt-action, this weapon is fired semi-automatically. Additionally, due to the firing sound simply being a cleaner version of the firing sound in SS1, the player will hear a 'bolt' being primed if they wait long enough after firing a shot, despite no animation accompanying it.
Serious Sam 1Edit
Serious Sam 2Edit
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
Serious Sam: Next EncounterEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 2 (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass (Upcoming)