The RAPTOR Sniper Rifle is a powerful long-ranged sniper rifle that appears in many games throughout the Serious Sam series. Depending on the game that is played on, the RAPTOR is either semi-automatic or bolt-action.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Tactics
- 3 Behind the scenes
- 4 Related achievements
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 List of appearances
The RAPTOR is one of the most powerful long-range weapons in the world. It represents the best and latest in long-distance, high-precision firearms. It utilizes 16mm armor-piercing, Kevlar-coated bullets that will pass through most known armor types. The flexible 2x-4x zoom ratio employed by the built-in scope allows the operator to choose between a larger peripheral field of view and more precise aim at longer distances, allowing the bullets to reach their target with maximum precision. The RAPTOR's magazine is equipped with an auto-stabilizing, rapid-fire mechanism which makes it possible to fire the entire clip while sighting through the scope.
In-game, the RAPTOR fires a single bullet each time the fire key is pressed. There is a brief pause between shots while the player chambers a new round in. After that, the gun can be fired again. The scope itself has a crosshair that shows where the center of the screen is. In Serious Sam 1, on the lower left-hand side of the scope is a triangle that will change color depending on the gun's state; it will be green if the gun is ready to fire, while it will be red during the reload animation.
In Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam VR, the damage the RAPTOR does is dependent on the player using the scope or not; if the player is not using the scope, each shot is about as powerful as a 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun blast. If the rifle is fired while the scope is being used, it will be almost as powerful as two rockets. Either way, the weapon will always be perfectly accurate, like most bullet-firing weapons. This is in contrast to its original appearance, where the weapon dealt the same amount of damage regardless of whether it is zoomed in or not, but would fire wildly off-center from the crosshair if fired without the scope.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the RAPTOR sees an increase to damage and is now semi-automatic instead of bolt-action. The weapon has high recoil and does the same damage scoped as it does unscoped. However, the weapon is extremely inaccurate when fired this way, having a wider spread than even the pump-action shotgun.
In Serious Sam 4, the RAPTOR still remains a powerful weapon, though it has now had its damage output reduced by half. To compensate for this, the weapon now deals twice as much damage to an enemy if they are shot in the head. Unlike the RAPTOR from previous games, the one in this installment carries 10 rounds and has to be manually reloaded.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, the RAPTOR is much rarer, appearing only twice throughout the campaign, and only as a secret. In the Jewel of the Nile DLC, however, the sniper rifle appears as an ordinary weapon, and ammo for it is plentiful.
In Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, the RAPTOR can be bought from the weapons menu, and no longer appears in secrets as none appear throughout the game.
In Serious Sam 4, the RAPTOR first appears in Gates of Hell along with ammo. Unlike the RAPTOR in Serious Sam 3, it is not a secret-only weapon and ammo for it is now relatively common.
- The RAPTOR is excellent for thinning out a horde of weak/medium strength enemies from a distance, such as Kleer Skeletons and Scythian Witch-Harpies. However, if the horde is getting close to the player, they should switch to another weapon because the RAPTOR is not very effective in close quarters.
- The sniper rifle is the ultimate weapon against Common Aludran Reptiloids in all of their appearances due to them often being spawned in faraway places. It takes three shots to kill one in The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3 and Serious Sam 4 (unless it is shot in the head), and two shots in the HD and VR remakes.
- Using the sniper rifle to take out individual enemies with low health (such as Beheaded Rocketeers or Zorgs) is a waste of ammunition and are best dealt with using rapid-firing weapons.
Serious Sam Second encounter.
- Individual medium-strength enemies, such as Arachnoids, Minor Bio-mechanoids, Sirian Werebulls and Zumb'uls, can also be quickly defeated with this weapon. This can be quite useful for quickly eliminating single to medium-sized groups of medium-strength enemies, especially if they are faraway.
- Its scope makes the RAPTOR a great weapon to locate and kill enemies placed far away from the player, such as Fiendian Reptiloid Demons.
- Despite what NETRICSA says, the RAPTOR is moderately useful against large enemies such as medium Lava Golems or Major Bio-mechanoids, being able to defeat these enemies in roughly four to five shots. Despite that, it's more ammo-efficient to use the rocket launcher on said large enemies, as the rounds for the RAPTOR are best spent elsewhere.
Serious Sam 3: BFE
- As ammunition is scarce for the RAPTOR in the campaign, it is best to use it as a last resort against tough enemies such as Major Bio-mechanoids or Scrapjacks, though it is more effective to do this when they have taken sufficient damage.
- The RAPTOR is ideally the best weapon to use against groups of Scythian Witch-Harpies, especially in Jewel of the Nile, where they are more common.
- In the original version of Serious Sam 3, this weapon is useless against Khnums and Technopolyps due to their high health and that bullet-firing weapons have no effect on them.
- The RAPTOR is also a great weapon against Common Aludran Reptiloids and Adult Arachnoids. It only takes about 4 or 5 shots to kill one.
- If you have plenty of ammo for the sniper rifle in Jewel of the Nile, the sniper can be used to quickly take out small groups of Hatchling Arachnoids.
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- The RAPTOR, especially when dual-wielded, is extremely useful for taking groups of Adult Arachnoids, Cloned Snipers, Juvenile Antaresian Spiders and Zumb'uls.
Serious Sam 4
- The RAPTOR is an excellent weapon for sniping out weak or medium targets from a distance.
- As the RAPTOR only holds 10 rounds in its magazine, the player should reload often and to do so after finishing off a group of enemies.
- The RAPTOR works extremely well against medium or tough targets, such as Aludran Reptiloids, Scrapjacks, Werebulls and Draconian Pyromaniacs. It can instantly kill the latter by delivering a round to the head.
Behind the scenes
- The RAPTOR was probably going to be reloadable at one point. You can see it if you open its file in Serious Editor 3.5 and enable the "Shoots to reload" parameter. According to its animation, it was probably going to have the same reload animation as the shotgun.
- In pre-alpha footage of Serious Sam 4, the RAPTOR had a completely different model that was based on a hunting rifle. It was also bolt-action.
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
|Kill 100 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.|
Serious Sam 3: BFE
|Find the Vista secret.|
Serious Sam Fusion
|Kill 20 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.|
- The RAPTOR appears to be based on several models:
- In Serious Sam Second Encounter, the rifle is a modified Heckler & Koch HK41, a semi-automatic version of the Heckler & Koch G3. The only difference between these is the Serious Sam 1 version has a wood and chrome finish.
- In Serious Sam 2, like the RAPTOR from Serious Sam 1, the sniper rifle is also a modified HK41. The only difference between these is that the Serious Sam 2 version has a dark green and black coloration (as well as different scope sizes).
- In Serious Sam 3, the weapon model is a GIAT FR F2, a French 7.62 NATO bolt-action sniper rifle. Also, despite the FR F2 being bolt-action, this weapon is fired semi-automatically. Additionally, due to the firing sound being reused from Serious Sam HD and simply being a cleaner and louder version of the firing sound in Serious Sam 1, the player will hear a 'bolt' being primed if they wait long enough after firing a shot, despite no animation accompanying it.
- In Serious Sam 4, the sniper rifle is based on the Barrett M82, an American semi-automatic anti-materiel precision rifle.
Serious Sam 1
Serious Sam: Next Encounter
Serious Sam 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Serious Sam 4
List of appearances
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 2 (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 4