This is getting serious!
This article contains some serious spoilers. Read at your own risk!
Mordekai the Summoner is one of Mental's servants, and one of the most powerful sorcerers in the universe. He is the final boss of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam: Xbox, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter, and Serious Sam Classics: Revolution.
Mordekai is a large, floating hooded sorcerer with no legs, wielding a wooden staff with a red crystal ball on top of it. He served Mental for over 3000 years, and was such a good servant that Mental resurrected him from the dead to serve as one his subordinates in his army once again. However, as Mordekai had been dead for some time, Mental was quite late in the resurrection progress, leaving him slightly brain damaged.
Behavior and skillsEdit
Mordekai's only attack is to teleport in, fire several magic blasts that will spawn enemies when it hits the ground, and then disappear. A few seconds, he will reappear and repeat this action. At first, the enemies spawned by Mordekai will be weak or lightweight troops, such as Beheaded Kamikazes or Zorg Mercenaries but as his health is depleted, he will start spawning in stronger enemies, including but not limited to Fiendian Reptiloid Demons, Lava Golems, or Major Bio-mechanoids.
When Mordekai has been killed, all of the enemies that he spawned will die as well.
- The key to this fight is to balance the fight so that an equal amount of time is spent attacking Mordekai and killing the enemies he spawns. This is very important in the final portions of the fight, as he will start spawning powerful enemies, such as Fiendian Reptiloid Demons or Sirian Werebulls. Being overwhelmed by enemies can cost the player the fight in the later stages, but at the same time, focusing on enemies too much is a waste of ammo because Mordekai will keep spawning enemies as long as he is still alive.
- In the area with the little fortification, just before entering the courtyard of the Grand Cathedral, there are re-spawning objects, including power-ups. Take Serious Speed, then Serious Damage and immediately run towards the entrance of the cathedral. When Mordekai is summoned, if the player is fast enough, the effect of the serious damage will still be active for some time; use this opportunity to fire with the SBC Cannon or XL2 Lasergun; this way, the player can easily deplete about 1/5 of Mordekai's health rapidly, or with the MK III Grenade Launcher, even 1/2 of his health, before he starts spawning enemies.
- In general, the cannon is the best weapon to use when fighting him. Charged shots do a large amount of damage per hit and can quickly reach him at long or medium range, while spamming uncharged shots is very effective when he is right next to the player.
- The cannon is also very useful against powerful enemies he spawns in the later stages.
- After an item in his arena has been picked up, it will reappear in a different location. If the player sees a re-spawned item in a different location while fighting, they should note its location for later.
- The serious speed power-ups are very useful, as they let the player dodge the large amount of projectiles enemies will be firing.
- When the 'pink secret' has been enabled, go to the rightmost jump pad and look to the right of the pad. There will be a small hole with a Super Health in it. Grab this because the extra health will be very useful during the later stages of the fight.
- The jump pads can be useful for as a temporary escape from enemy attacks if the player is cornered. Walking up on one will bounce the player slightly up, which will give them enough air to dodge any incoming attacks and bounce them far enough that they can start moving to the other side of the arena.
- If the player has a Serious Bomb, it can be used to kill the enemies if they are heavily overwhelmed by them.
Serious Sam HD: The Second EncounterEdit
|Deliver the final blow to Mordekai with the knife.|
Serious Sam Classics: RevolutionEdit
|Million Funerals and No Wedding|
|Kill the boss and complete the Medieval episode.|
- Occasionally throughout the boss battle, Mordekai can be heard speaking what appears to be Latin, though NETRICSA says that most of the Latin is utter gibberish due to him being brain damaged.
- Mordekai's classic staff appears in Serious Sam 3: BFE's model files, but is unused in that game.
- Based on official concept art, Mordekai's initial appearance was much different. Having torn arm sleeves, a non-decaled robe, and an entirely different staff.
- According to NETRICSA in Serious Sam's Bogus Detour, the Lava Golem was created by Mordekai.
- Mordekai has the second longest death animation of any enemy in the game; when he has been killed, he will wail and scream in agony for a few seconds, and then explode.
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (Non-canonical appearance) (Mentioned)
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)