The MK III Grenade Launcher is an experimental grenade launcher that can fire grenades at short range, or be charged to shoot them at further range against targets that are far away.
The grenade launcher is a reliable infantry grenade thrower with adjustable launching speed. The weapon is designed to deliver highly explosive grenades over obstacles and around corners, whilst reducing the chance of the user being hurt by the projectile. A smart impact detector detonates the grenade on impact with a live target (including the player), but not with wall or obstacles.
The grenade launcher fires one grenade per shot. The distance the grenade goes depends on how long the player holds the fire key. If the fire key is not held at all, the grenade will just drop out of the barrel and bounce a few feet to get some distance. However, if the fire key is held as long as possible, the grenade will fly out of the gun at great speed and will cover a medium distance before it hits the ground. A fully-charged grenade deals more damage than a rocket, and the grenade launcher's splash damage is larger than the rocket launcher's splash damage. This means it has more potential dealing damage to dense groups of enemies than rockets.
Grenades will either explode upon contact with an enemy or three seconds after it has been fired. Grenades can ricochet across walls for surprise attacks on enemies hiding around corners. This can be a handy trick to avoid direct contact with dangerous targets.
In Serious Sam: Next Encounter, the grenade launcher uses three types of ammunition; standard rounds, limpet grenades and spider mines. Standard rounds will explode on contact if they collide with enemies or within seconds of impact otherwise, limpet grenades will stick to any flat surface it lands on and detonate when it detects movement within a 5 meter radius, while spider mines have an extendable set of legs and an on-board AI that will seek out the nearest bionic lifeform within its 10 m sensory range.
- A charged up grenade can be very useful against strong and slow enemies, such as Major Bio-mechanoids. Grenades are more powerful and travel at a faster rate than a rocket does. However, the charge time gives the MK III a lower rate of fire compared to the XPML21 Rocket Launcher.
- A shot of grenades can also effectively take down a single Cucurbito the Pumpkin, compared to two shots from the rocket launcher.
- Tap the trigger for slow launching or hold it down to deliver at longer ranges.
- It is an effective weapon against Minor Bio-mechanoids due to its high damage output. A single grenade can kill an individual Minor, and can be used to deal light to moderate damage against small groups.
- Uncharged grenades can be used for quickly taking down tightly-packed weak enemies at any range or for large groups of medium-strength enemies, such as Kleers at close range. However, the player should ensure they keep some distance while firing the grenade due to the possibility of accidentally inflicting self-damage by the grenade's blast radius. Switching to the lasergun or minigun when enemies get too close is a valid option as enemies that survived the grenade launcher are softened up.
- When grenades bounce off a wall, it bounces off directly away from the wall, regardless of what angle the grenades hit the wall.
- High-speed grenades bouncing back are very dangerous as grenades are very damaging on direct hit.
- A charged up grenade can be useful against a tight flock of Scythian Witch-Harpies at long range. One grenade can gib up to four Harpies at once, though the explosions will separate any surviving Harpies.
Behind the scenesEdit
- A different skin for the grenade ammo box can be found in Test 1's files. It has the MK III's HUD ammo icon on it, which explains where the HUD icon originates.
- In Alpha, the grenade launcher had limited charge, and could only fire grenades at medium range.
Serious Sam 1Edit
Serious Sam: Next EncounterEdit
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam 4 (Upcoming)