The Hatchling Arachnoids is an enemy that appears in Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE and Serious Sam 4. They are newborn Arachnoids, and like their adult counterparts, they will fire a rapid volley of bullets at the target with their chaingun.
Overview[edit | edit source]
As the Mental War waged on, Mental had to start using younger specimens in order to meet demand, such as Hatchlings. In younger Arachnoids, the exoskeleton covers the entire body, but is not as tough as that of adults. As they cannot implant augmented armor while they are still growing, juveniles cut one arm off and mount a gun in its place.
A Hatchling's major weakness is that their necks have not yet fully developed, so one can snap it with enough strength, instantly killing the Hatchling.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
Hatchlings are first encoutered in Under the Iron Cloud, often in small groups. Later in the game, Hatchlings appear few at a time, often to distract the player whilst they are attacking other enemies.
Attacks and stats[edit | edit source]
While an individual Hatchling is not much of a threat, they can be just as dangerous as adults in groups. What makes them even more dangerous is the fact that they can walk over debris, such as rubble. They follow the same attack pattern as their adult variants do; when they spot the target, they will open fire with their chaingun, then stop, wait a few seconds, and fire again. They can also deliver a powerful sting if the player gets too close to a Hatchling.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Long range weapons, such as the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle, work best against the Hatchling. These weapons give the distance necessary for some of their bullets to miss, while you can hit them with very high or perfect accuracy.
- Medium-range Hatchlings can be killed with the XPML21 Rocket Launcher. One shot will gib a Hatchling, and rockets don't take long to travel to their target at medium range. The player may take some damage while the rocket is travelling to the Arachnoid, but this can be avoided by hiding behind something or briefly running away from its field of vision.
- Close range Hatchlings can be killed with either the Double Barrel Coach Gun or a one-hit kill melee attack. Note that going for a melee kill is a little more dangerous than a double-barrel shotgun kill, as the player needs to be right next to the Hatchling in order to do it. This puts the player at a higher risk of being hit by part of a surprise burst. Melee attacks are still often doable as they tend to appear in locations with significant amount of cover (like in the beginning of Together Forever level).
- Groups of Arachnoids can be dispatched with the assault rifle, C-4 Demolition Charges or the rocket launcher. The assault rifle works for quickly clearing out Arachnoids because of it's instant-hit bullets, while the rocket launcher can be used to quickly lob a rocket at each Arachnoid, killing it instantly. Groups of Arachnoids packed together are very vulnerable to a C-4 charge, especially if it's very close to them. It's very possible for one C-4 to completely wipe out a group of them, depending on how close they are to each other.
- The Sirian Mutilator is also a useful weapon against several Hatchlings. If they are lassoed with the beam, they will be stunned briefly, allowing the player to take out several Hatchlings at once before they get the chance to fire.
- If there are too many Hatchlings in one area, the XM214-A Minigun can quickly dispatch a large group of them. However, considering the scarcity of minigun ammo throughout the campaign, it can be seen as a waste of ammo and should really be used as a last resort.
- When paired with other enemies, the Hatchling can be quite irritating because of all the bullets they spam. It should be one of the first enemies targeting in order to prevent it from whittling down the player's health while fighting off other enemies, especially if there are multiple Hatchlings or when having low health.
Related achievements[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam 3: BFE[edit | edit source]
|Scorpion Slayer B|
|Break 5 Arachnoid necks.|
Serious Sam Fusion[edit | edit source]
|Break 5 Arachnoid necks.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Some of the Hatchling's sounds come from the ScorpSoldier.
- Sometimes the coach gun won't always kill the Hatchling in one shot, instead it will lose half of its health, though this depends on how close the Arachnoid is to the player and if all the pellets connect.
- Snapping a Hatchling's neck requires a force of at least 40 pounds.