The Demon is a large, red demon-like creature that stands up to 20 ft tall. Despite its name, the Fiendian Reptiloid Demon is actually a different species compared to the Aludran Reptiloids. The Fiendian Reptiloid Demon was originally a simple lizard-like organism from the planet Fiendia Prime, but was mutated by Mental over several generations to create the Demon. It's one of the few immobile enemies in the game, though in Serious Sam HD, Serious Sam Classics: Revolution and Serious Sam VR it can move.
Fiendian Reptiloid Demons are not common as other enemies, usually only one to a few appear at a time but there are instances where several of them appear, like at the end of the Courtyards of Gilgamesh and one of the Corridors of Death in The Grand Cathedral. The first Demon encountered appears in Valley of the Jaguar after obtaining the first jaguar statue. A few Demons appear later in the level after getting the second jaguar statue.
Later on in the game, Demons are placed far away from the player to harass them while they are fighting off other enemies. They can usually be found in elevated places such as towers, roofs and pillars. They are much more common and numerous when playing on higher difficulties.
Attacks and abilitiesEdit
The Reptiloid Demon has the ability to form a miniature black hole through which it can summon floating balls of molten lava into existence. This projectile is extremely fast, and is much harder to avoid as it will fly past the player and attempt to circle back and hit them again. Unlike the projectiles tossed by the Common Aludran Reptiloid, the fireballs thrown by the Demon cannot be destroyed in the classic version of the game except by a cannonball or a few laser beams. However, in the HD and VR versions, it can be destroyed using any weapon. If the ball does not hit the player at first, it will bounce around until it either hits the player, a wall at a non-low angle or it explodes on its own.
The Demon's secondary attack is hitting the player if they get too close. This attack is difficult to avoid and deals a lot of damage.
- The player should not try to get close to a Demon, even if the Demon is on an elevated position. When close to the Demon, the fireball is too fast for the player to dodge.
- Generally, Demons are more dangerous in very open spaces, especially in groups, as a fireball which doesn't hit a wall comes back at player and can do so a few times.
- While the ball thrown by the Demon is easy to avoid at medium or long range, the Demon can be deadly if it is in a tight or indoor area. If it appears in one of those areas, it should be one of the first enemies killed.
- The RAPTOR Sniper Rifle is very effective against this enemy, because it it is frequently placed in faraway locations. It takes roughly four to five shots to kill it, depending on the version of the game being played.
- Multiple faraway Demons can be dispatched with the XM214-A Minigun. Its high rate of fire and perfect accuracy make it a great weapon for quickly taking out multiple Demons.
- If the player wants to conserve bullets or RAPTOR ammo, the XPML21 Rocket Launcher is effective against Demons. Because it never moves, it is easy to land multiple rockets on it in a very short amount of time. However, If used at medium or long range, at least one rocket will be destroyed by the lava ball thrown by the Demon when not sidestepping.
- While Demons can move, most of them aren't designed to move in the original game, but in the HD and VR remakes they will move if the situation is needed (for example, if the Demon is on the same level as the player and if the player tries to hide behind something that the lava ball won't hit, the Demon will adjust its position to attack).
- The SBC Cannon also works very well against groups of Demons; just one charged shot will kill one.
- Despite the fact that fireballs can be destroyed in Serious Sam HD and VR, their NETRICSA information still says that it's impossible to destroy the projectiles.
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)