Cucurbito the Pumpkin is an enemy appearing multiple times in the Serious Sam series.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Cucurbito the Pumpkin is a genetically engineered humanoid who wears overalls, uses a chainsaw, and has a pumpkin for a head. He was created by Mental by combining elements his time-traveling agents found on 20th century Earth, including Smashing Pumpkins albums, a copy of the Burt Reynolds movie Deliverance and a copy of Lumberjack Digest. As Mental inserted the final, 1979th part into his creation, it sprang to life and even he faltered at the sight of it.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
In Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Cucurbitos are relatively common enemies. Most of them appear in close quarter areas, though there are a few times where they appear in open spaces. They usually appear with other enemies, such as Zumb'uls, Kleer Skeletons, Gnaars and Bio-mechanoids.
Behavior and skills[edit | edit source]
Cucurbitos attack similarly to a Sirian Werebull; by charging into the player and slashing them with their chainsaw. If the player dodges their attack, they will turn around and try again. The player can also be damaged by walking into a Cucurbito.
In the HD version of the game, Cucurbitos can sometimes rapidly slash the player, dealing the same amount of damage but in a rapid succession. Usually occurs if you are close to them after their charge attack is finished.
Cucurbitos are much larger and more durable in I Hate Running Backwards. They have the highest health points out of any regular enemy in the game. Behavior-wise, they will react the same way upon noticing their target just as they do in the previous installments, though when attacked, they will become enraged, raise their chainsaw and increase their speed to get to the target faster, which makes them even more dangerous than in the previous games.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Cucurbitos are easy to dodge, making them not a major threat when encountered with other enemies. The player can easily dodge Cucurbitos while taking out more serious threats, such as Major Bio-mechanoids.
- Cucurbito is very similar to a Sirian Werebull minus the knockback effect from its charge attack and should be treated as such.
- A grenade fired by the MK III Grenade Launcher or a zoomed in RAPTOR Sniper Rifle shot can kill a Cucurbito in one hit, making the latter very effective against groups of Cucurbitos.
- For obvious reasons, one should not use melee weapons against Cucurbito, unless as a last resort and the player sidesteps to avoid its attacks.
- A single or small group of Cucurbitos can be killed with the Double Barrel Coach Gun or XPML21 Rocket Launcher.
- Groups of Cucurbitos can be easily taken out with the XM214-A Minigun, XOP Flamethrower or a charged up cannonball. The minigun and flamethrower's high rate of fire and high damage can quickly kill multiple Cucurbitos quickly, while a charged up cannonball can kill a large group in one hit, make them very useful against Cucurbitos.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The Cucurbito, along with the P-LAH Chainsaw, RAPTOR Sniper Rifle, and XOP Flamethrower, were originally meant to appear in Serious Sam: The First Encounter, but were scrapped before the game's final release.
Related achievements[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter[edit | edit source]
|Trick or Treat|
|Kill 50 Cucurbitos.|
Serious Sam Fusion[edit | edit source]
|Trick or Treat|
|Kill 50 Cucurbitos.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to NETRICSA, Cucurbito is a vegetarian.
- The Xbox version of the Cucurbito has a slight change in appearance, as well as a different chainsaw.
- The chainsaw used by Cucurbito is a variant of the P-LAH Chainsaw.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam 1[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter[edit | edit source]
I Hate Running Backwards[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- I Hate Running Backwards (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (Non-canonical appearance)