Cucurbito the Pumpkin is an enemy appearing multiple times in the Serious Sam series.
Cucurbito the Pumpkin is a genetically engineered humanoid who wears overalls, uses a chainsaw, and has a pumpkin for a head. He was created by Mental by combining elements his time-traveling agents found on 20th century Earth, including Smashing Pumpkins albums, a copy of the Burt Reynolds movie Deliverance and a copy of Lumberjack Digest. As Mental inserted the final, 1979th part into his creation, it sprang to life and even he faltered at the sight of it.
In Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Cucurbitos are relatively common enemies, appearing from Sierra de Chiapas onwards. Most of them appear in close quarter areas, though there are a few times where they appear in open spaces. Tiny ones spawn in the secret pumpkin yard in The Grand Cathedral.
Cucurbitos and fairly common units in Mental's army, often serving as close-range assault and to get as close to the target as possible to deal damage with their chainsaws. However, as they have no ranged attacks, they can be easily dispatched with firearms from a safe distance unless they are encountered in large numbers.
Behavior and skills
The Cucurbito's primary (and only) weapon that they use in combat is their chainsaw. Upon spotting the target, they will charge towards them and repeadtely slash at them with their chainsaw. Their charge attack is similar to that of the Sirian Werebull. If the target dodges their attack, the Cucurbito will turn around and try again. In Serious Sam HD, Cucurbitos can sometimes rapidly slash the player, dealing the same amount of damage but in a rapid succession. This usually occurs if the player is close to them after their charge attack is finished.
In I Hate Running Backwards, Cucurbitos are much larger and more durable, having the highest health points out of any non-boss enemy in the game. They also behave differently than in The Second Encounter ; they will react the same way upon noticing their target just as they do in the previous installments, though when attacked, they will become enraged, raise their chainsaw and increase their speed to get to the target faster, which makes them even more dangerous than before.
- Cucurbitos are easy to dodge, making them not a major threat when encountered with other enemies. The player can easily dodge Cucurbitos while taking out more serious threats, such as Major Bio-mechanoids.
- Cucurbito is very similar to a Sirian Werebull minus the knockback effect from its charge attack and should be treated as such.
- A grenade fired by the MK III Grenade Launcher or a zoomed in RAPTOR Sniper Rifle shot can kill a Cucurbito in one hit, making the latter very effective against groups of Cucurbitos.
- For obvious reasons, one should not use melee weapons against Cucurbito, unless as a last resort and the player sidesteps to avoid its attacks.
- A single or small group of Cucurbitos can be killed with the Double Barrel Coach Gun or XPML21 Rocket Launcher.
- Groups of Cucurbitos can be easily taken out with the XM214-A Minigun, XL2 Lasergun, XOP Flamethrower or a charged up cannonball. The minigun and flamethrower's high rate of fire and high damage can quickly kill multiple Cucurbitos quickly, while a charged up cannonball can kill a large group in one hit, make them very useful against Cucurbitos.
Behind the scenes
- The Cucurbito, along with the P-LAH Chainsaw, RAPTOR Sniper Rifle, and XOP Flamethrower, were originally meant to appear in Serious Sam: The First Encounter, but were scrapped before the game's final release.
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
|Trick or Treat|
|Kill 50 Cucurbitos.|
Serious Sam Fusion
|Trick or Treat|
|Kill 50 Cucurbitos.|
- According to NETRICSA, Cucurbito is a vegetarian.
- The Xbox version of the Cucurbito has a slight change in appearance, as well as a different chainsaw.
- The chainsaw used by Cucurbito is a variant of the P-LAH Chainsaw.
Serious Sam 1
Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter
I Hate Running Backwards
List of appearances
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: Xbox (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- I Hate Running Backwards (non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (non-canonical appearance)