- ―A Croteam Head's usual catchphrase.[src]
Croteam Heads (also known as Bigheads or Fan-Boys) are non-playable characters who appear as Easter Eggs throughout the Serious Sam series.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Bigheads appear as skinny humanoids with pale skin and large heads (an enlarged cranium or exposed brain) that has a face of one of the members of Croteam. They appear to wear the same clothes as Serious Sam.
Bigheads are harmless towards the player, but are not passive. They may become an annoying obstruction as they tend to shout "hey, wait", approach the player closely, introduce themselves and walk away which can happen even more than once per single NPC. In groups they may get stuck in tight spaces due to quite poor AI. However, in Serious Sam HD, they just simply say "hello" and wave after spotting the player without approaching them, thus making them less of an annoyance.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
They later appear in the opening cutscene of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, where they are seen flying on their crate bus. They decide to activate "hypercrate" (which causes the brake to malfunction) and they end up crashing into the SSS Centerprice, sending it back down to Earth. They then appear again in the first level Sierra de Chiapas as angels. Later, and then again in The Citadel as devils.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- While not a threat, Croteam Heads can be killed very easily with any weapon if the player desires to do so - with no retaliation to be expected. An individual has about the same HP as any beheaded enemy (e.g. Beheaded Rocketeers). It takes a single Military Knife slash or two shots from the Schofield .45 or SOP38 Pistol to kill one. These three are probably the best weapons for this task with no wasteful ammo usage, especially on higher difficulties.
- Killing Croteam Heads will not yield any points, nor information on NETRICSA will be given.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The Bighead model from The First Encounter was used from a prototype version of Mental with their faces put on Mental's head with an alpha Sam texture edited onto his body.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Serious Sam 1, the background music will remain peaceful if the player approaches the Croteam Head(s). In Serious Sam HD however, this is not the case, and the music changes just like when the player is within the proximity of any enemy in enclosed areas.
- Croteam Heads have the longest death animation of any enemy in the game. When killed, it will dance for a few seconds before falling very slowly towards the ground, coughing and moaning in pain.
- Their death animation is out of their sync with their death sound in Serious Sam HD.
- Every secret Croteam Heads appear in includes some ammunition or health.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
Retail[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE (Non-canonical appearance)