Cloned Soldiers are cybernetically modified human soldiers. They, along with Beheaded Rocketeers, serve as the basic infantry units of Mental's forces. They are slightly more armored and equipped with standard military issue equipment, which makes them more formidable opponents than Rocketeers, though less of a threat than Beheaded Kamikazes or Kleer Skeletons. They appear as common enemies throughout Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE and Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope.
Cloned Soldiers are human soldiers, most likely Earth Defense Force infantry, who fought against Mental's forces during the Mental War. These soldiers were either killed or captured, who then were subject to extreme experimentation and modifications to suit Mental's needs.
Cloned Soldiers wear standard-issue camo body armor, and, like executed Sirian soldiers, have implanted life control units, which augments the brain and controls most high-level functions, as well as to receive and obey orders from Mental's headquarters. These soldiers have also gone through significant cybernetic modifications and enhancements. Perhaps the most recognisable part of these modifications is the metal plating which covers most of the forehead, with five red mechanical eyes that act as sensors; these sensors allow them to see in the dark or in foggy conditions.
Their skin has been damaged, revealing exposed tissue, which appears to have been caused by acid or high temperatures during manufacturing processes. They have also been stripped of most human emotion and intelligence. Thus, Cloned Soldiers are only limited to blindly attack specific targets. Despite the manufacturing and implanted processes they have gone through, Cloned Soldiers still retain some human characteristics. For instance, they still feel pain and flinch when they have been injured or shot, but they don't always let this hinder their performance, and will continue to shoot at the target, even when their health is low. After a soldier has been shot, they will sometimes limp or crawl on the ground for a short while before dying.
Cloned Soldiers wield shotguns, assault rifles, and sniper rifles, as used by human forces. Using these standard-issue weapons, Cloned Soldiers usually work in squads of two to six. During combat, soldiers will take advantage use of cover, crouching behind sandbags or obstacles or hiding behind walls, occasionally coming out of cover to aim down the sights of their weapons or fire at the player.
In combat, Cloned Soldiers fire their weapons with somewhat poor accuracy, though they can deliver many rounds to a non-moving target. Cloned Soldiers equipped with shotguns fire more accurately due to the shotgun's spread. The amount of damage they can take before dying varies with the difficulty level the game is being played on. If a Cloned Soldier is at point blank range, they will deliver a powerful kick to the target. They will also kick any obstacles that are in their way.
When not engaging targets, Cloned Soldiers occasionally patrol the streets of Cairo, in slums, or anywhere else Mental deploys them. They can be heard making inhuman grunts or groaning sounds when idle, and make snarls when they spot a target.
Cloned Soldiers come with five variants; the Cloned Rifleman, Cloned Shotgunner, Flying Cloned Soldier, Cloned Sniper and Flying Cloned Sniper. The flying and sniper variants only appear in Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope.
Cloned Riflemen wield the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle, which can deal moderate damage at close range and cause some damage at medium-long distances. Unlike their shotgun wielding brethren, these soldiers are not handicapped by a weapon which shortens their effective attack range. Though Riflemen can fire accurately at long distances, a single Rifleman's attacks are weak, but they are seldom encountered alone. A group of Riflemen coupled with Shotgunners can be an effective suppressive force despite low damage per shot.
In Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, Cloned Rifleman use laser rifles that fire blue projectiles at the target.
The Cloned Shotgunner exclusively wields the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun. At close range they can deliver high damage to a target, but their shotgun is less effective at medium to far distances due to its limited range.
Flying Cloned SoldierEdit
Flying Cloned Soldiers, as the name implies, flies around with a jetpack, making them harder to hit than soldiers on the ground.
Cloned Snipers are soldier variants that use the pump-action shotgun just like the Cloned Shotgunner, those this shotgun is fitted with a laser sight and fires sniper rounds instead, making them more dangerous opponents if not taken out immediately. They can be identified from the long laser sight which they use to spot a target before firing. Cloned Snipers have stronger armor than normal soldiers, making them able to take much more damage before dying.
- The pump-action shotgun is very effective against one or two soldiers. One shot can often kill two in one shot at close or medium range.
- At long range, the M29 assault rifle works very well. Three or so shots from the assault rifle will kill a Rifleman in one shot. However, iron sights are needed to aim accurately at this range. Otherwise, there's a chance that a bullet or two will miss.
- The SOP38 Pistol can dispatch Cloned Soldiers with ease, as long as the player is looking down the iron sights if the soldiers are at a further distance. At close range, the player can fire at them without having to look down the sights. Two or three shots will kill a Cloned Soldier, depending on the difficulty.
- The player can perform two melee attacks against a Cloned Soldier, both depend on the player's currently equipped weapon. When the player is using any shotgun (excluding the AS-24 Devastator), or the pistol, they will kick the soldier a short distance, temporarily preventing him from firing at the player. If the player is wielding anything else, Sam will break the soldier's neck, instantly killing him.
- When paired with other enemies, a Shotgunner's threat depends on how close they are to the player. If they're at medium or long range, they can be ignored because of how little damage their guns will do. However, at close range, they are very dangerous because most, if not all, of their pellets will connect at close range. Therefore, they should be taken out immediately.
- Multiple soldiers can be taken out with either the assault rifle or the XPML21 Rocket Launcher. The assault rifle can quickly wipe them out, while the rocket launcher can kill multiple Rifleman with one rocket, especially if the rocket is positioned so that it hits a soldier in or near the middle of a group of them.
- A Rifleman's threat depends on the range they're encountered. At long or medium range, they fire too few bullets and often miss so they are not a serious threat. Therefore, they are generally a low priority target. However, at close range, they fire their guns in a large, 15-round burst, making them very dangerous. At close range, they should be considered a high priority target and removed before they can inflict significant damage on the player. In harder difficulties, they should be much higher priority targets.
- Their bullets are very fast, but it's possible to dodge them by sprinting to the side.
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
|Break 10 soldier necks.|
Serious Sam FusionEdit
|Break 10 soldier necks.|
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
Serious Sam VR: The Last HopeEdit
Serious Sam 4Edit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam 4 (Upcoming)