The Cerebull is an enemy that appears in Serious Sam: Tormental. A larger, tougher variant of the Cerebull, known as Deja Bull, serves as the first boss of the game.
The Cerebull is a green cow-like creature. There are four variants of Cerebulls, normal Cerebulls and Elite Blackbulls, which appear as regular enemies, and the Deja Bull and Cerebaron, which serve as bosses. Cerebulls only appear in Mental Woods, where they are fairly common enemies. The elite version will appear once the player has completed a loop for the first time. The Deja Bull variant appear at the end of Mental Woods along with groups of Bombheads, while the Cerebaron version appears in Mental Woods V2.
The idea of a bull-like creature came to Mental during his earliest conquests across space, where he noticed many lifeforms similar to this one utilizing simple, but brutal tactics and strength to trample over their enemies. The Sirian Werebull in the real world is the result of the Cerebull idea scheme projected and realized outside of the mindspace.
Behavior and skills
The Cerebull behaves much like the Sirian Werebull, in that they charge towards the player and attempt to ram into them. If the Cerebull misses, it will turn around to face the player and charge at them again. A Cerebull will become momentarily stunned if it misses its target and crashes into something. When in a stunned state, the Cerebull will take extra damage from weapons. The Elite Blackbull will explode after it has been killed. Its explosion is powerful and has a large radius. The Cerebaron is much faster than the normal Cerebull variants.
- Like the Werebull, the Cerebull can be dodged by sidestepping left or right.
- The Sledgehammer is a useful weapon for pushing charging Cerebulls away from the player.
- Strong or rapid-fire weapons, like the Machinegun, Mini Cannon, Rocket and Shotgun, are effective against Cerebulls.
- The Pistol is not a very good weapon to use against a Cerebull due to it how many shots it takes to kill one. With the explosive, fire, freeze or shotgun upgrades though, the pistol is much more efficient against them.
- When enough of their health is depleted, Cerebulls will receive a yellow outline on their body. If the player dashes into it, this will award the player with a brutal kill.
- If the Cerebull hits into a wall, it will become dizzy and unable to move for a few seconds. The player can use this to their advantage by either damaging it while it is dizzy or by escaping away from it if the player can't deal with the Cerebull.
- Cerebulls can be a dangerous threat when paired with other enemies, as they can deal a lot of damage to the player if they are not careful.
- Elite Blackbulls are even more dangerous than normal ones due to their higher health and attack damage. The player should kill them as soon as they see them. Strong weapons work well against them.
- When dealing with Elite Blackbulls, use the Freezegun or the pistol if it has freeze or fire mods to slow them down, then finish them off with a stronger weapon.
- The name of this enemy is a portmanteau on cerebrum and bull.
List of appearances
- Serious Sam: Tormental (First appearance) (non-canonical appearance)