This is getting serious!
This article contains some serious spoilers. Read at your own risk!
The Alcor Class Warship, often referred to as the Warship, is a large spacecraft designed for troop deployment and as a "ground-scorcher" with its laser beams. It appears as a boss in Serious Sam 3: BFE, and the only boss in the game to be fought twice.
Used extensively throughout the Mental War on Earth, the Alcor Class Warship is the most common of Mental's spaceships. It was used primarily for wreaking havoc upon major cities across the world with its scorcher beams.
The warship's armor plating is able to withstand any small arms fire and anything up to a strategic missile. however, it has one significant weakness: when these hatches are opened, the ships unarmored innards are exposed, allowing someone on the ground to damage it with rockets or other projectile-based weaponry.
Despite the warship's appearance, it is not capable of combat maneuvers or advanced attacks. The warship primarily attacks with up to several continuous laser beams, which are fired from the center of the ship's underside. These beams are strong enough to burn through steel plating at a rate of one foot per second. Depending on the damage taken, the warship can multiply the amount of laser beams, allowing for a maximum of three beams to scorch the nearby area.
Each warship is capable of holding up to a maximum of 20,000 troops; the troops are deployed onto the ground with the use of teleport beams, which are activated after the ship opens its deployment hatches located underneath the ship. This is also the warship's second way of attacking. When each hatch is opened, a teleport beam will spawn various enemies in different areas. These exposed hatches also serve as the warship's only weakness; the warship will take damage if an open hatch is shot with explosive weaponry, or other projectile weapons. Each hatch can only sustain a certain amount of damage before automatically closing. The amount of hatches opened appears to be based on the damage the warship has sustained, opening the most hatches when it is nearly destroyed.
If the ship has suffered significant damage and its systems sense that the ship is in imminent destruction, its on-board AI will retreat via a short-range jump before the ship can be destroyed. However, if the ship has been too greatly damaged, it will crash even after attempting a propulsion jump. The ship uses a FTL propulsion system to quickly reach locations. This propulsion system is also capable of going at the speed of light, allowing the warship to travel as far as 10 parsecs in one transdimensional jump.
Several dozen warships are seen invading Earth in the opening cutscene, and later on the planet itself, destroying a city in the background with their scorcher beams.
A warship appears in the first level of the campaign, Summer in Cairo, where it destroys an entire building with its scorcher beam before "jumping" away using its propulsion system. Later on, the player encounters it in two levels as a boss, Under the Iron Cloud and later in The Power of the Underworld.
- The deadly scorcher beams fired by the warship are easy to dodge as long as you are constantly moving.
- If possible, try to aim at a weak point that is closest to you. Weak spots closer to the player are larger, giving you more room to hit the weak spots than trying to hit farther-away ones would.
- Being aware of your surroundings is very important while fighting this boss. Accidentally being cornered can easily get you killed depending on the types of enemies that are spawned.
- Both battles have supply crates filled with an infinite amount of rockets scattered throughout the arenas they take place in. If you run low on explosives, it is highly recommended that you find and open a nearby crate as soon as you can.
- One cannonball can instantly destroy one of its spawn ports, which makes it a great weapon to use against it.
- The XPML21 Rocket Launcher will do better damage to the warship than most currently available weapons, but the rockets also take sometime to hit each hatch. Be sure to shoot the hatch that is closest to you to avoid missing any shots.
- The rocket launcher is also a good choice for dealing with the hordes of enemies that the warship teleports, as long as they aren't close to the player. One rocket can kill most enemy types spawned by the Warship except for Sirian Werebulls.
- It's usually a good idea to aim your rockets towards the ground near the enemy you're targeting. That way, fast moving enemies like Beheaded Kamikazes or Kleers will be easier to hit with the splash damage and be killed easily.
- Enemies at close range should be dealt with by using either the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle or the Double Barrel Coach Gun. Use the XL2 Lasergun if you have enough ammo to spare.
- The assault rifle is also handy for taking out long-distance enemies that could be a problem later, such as Kleer Skeletons. If the warship is also too far away to hit with rockets accurately, it can also damage the warship when shooting the hatches.
- Try to balance it so that equal time is spent between hitting the weak points and controlling enemy hordes spawned by it. Letting enemy crowds become too large makes it more difficult to concentrate on the warship.
- If the player has picked up the XL2 Lasergun, it can do significantly more damage than the assault rifle and doesn't need reloading, making it also a good choice.
- If the SBC Cannon was collected during the course of the level, it may be a good choice to use it, as each successful shot will do massive damage to the warship. One must also keep in mind that spare cannonballs are rare at this point of the game, so you will have to aim carefully to avoid missing. Remember that the cannon's projectile descends with gravity, so be sure to use appropriate aim compensation to ensure each cannonball hits.
- Letting the warship stay for too long at low health with eventually cause it to populate the ground with werebulls, which can complicate the situation and may force you to use precious cannonballs.
- The cannon is your best friend during this fight; a fully charged shot on an open hatch will do massive damage to the warship. It will only take about six fully charged shots to completely destroy the warship, and since cannonballs are more readily available at this point in the game, it should be favoured over other weapons during this fight. The usage of this weapon alone can shorten the entire duration of the battle significantly, even before the warship can spawn excessive amounts of enemies on the battlefield. Remember that the cannon's projectile descends with gravity, so be sure to use appropriate aim compensation to ensure each cannonball hits.
- The AS-24 Devastator is a good alternative for hitting the warship's weak points in the second fight. Devastator grenades are much faster than the rocket launcher's rockets, allowing the player to inflict damage quicker than in the first fight.
- If overwhelmed, the SBC Cannon, XM214-A Minigun and C-4 Demolition Charge are excellent weapons to use against the hordes spawned by the warship. Charged up cannon shots are very useful against the stronger enemy types teleported in (like the Scrapjack), while the C-4 and minigun can clear out the weaker enemy types that teleport in (like the Juvenile Antaresian Spider).
- The biggest threat spawned in by the warship is the Scrapjack because of all the projectiles they fire. Take them out as soon as possible in order to get more room to dodge attacks.
- When playing on co-op, you will not be able to damage the warship from the Vista secret spot (which has a sniper rifle for you to pick up), even though it doesn't look like anything is obstructing your shot. Don't bother wasting your ammo.
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
|All your base are belong to us! (sG)|
|Defeat the Warship in Under the Iron Cloud.|
Serious Sam Fusion 2017Edit
|All Your Base Are Belong To Us!|
|Defeat the spaceship.|
Serious Sam 3 VR: BFEEdit
|All Your Base Are Belong To Us!|
|Defeat the spaceship.|
- The achievement "All your base are belong to us" is actually a dialog from the game Zero Wing. Later, it become an internet phenomena. Sam also says the words when he taunts the fleeing warship.
- As the warship is equipped with AI, it's possible that the ship is controlled automatically.
List of appearancesEdit