Overview[edit | edit source]
The Adult Arachnoid is a holy warrior from a primitive race that evolved from arthropods. It is extremely hostile due to its reilgious convictions. It has a mouth on the bottom part of its body, and yields two augmented chain guns which are concealed within its pincers. Like their Serious Sam 1 counterparts, they look very much like scorpions, with six legs and a large sting, as well as two pincers, though they have a humanoid body and head.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
The first Arachnoid appears as a boss in Into the Spider's Nest, just as Sam is about to exit the Egyptian Museum. Later in the game, Adult Arachnoids serve as harassment units, providing supporting fire to other forces. Unlike the Arachnoids from the previous games, most of the Arachnoids in these installements are located on ground level as opposed to rooftops and columns. Also, they appear in groups of one to two and in places where it's possible to take cover.
Behavior and skills[edit | edit source]
Adult Arachnoids are much tougher than those of Hatchlings, with a stronger exoskeleton and augmented armor, which allows them to survive multiple rounds of gunfire and several rocket blasts. They also have a different attack pattern compared to their Serious Sam 1 versions; while they shoot decently-damaging bullets at a rather average rate, this Arachnoid shoots low-damaging bullets at a very fast rate. It opens its pincers and starts shooting a burst of 20 bullets per hand (40 in total), then stops, and repeats that sequence after a short interval.
Compared to the classic Arachnoids, it is also faster, can often avoid slower projectiles and is not as susceptible to flinching while damaged. If the player gets too close to an Arachnoid, it will whack them with one of its pincers.
The miniboss version's bullets can pierce through the debris the player is probably hiding behind, destroying them. It also has roughly three times as much health as normal.
In Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, Adult Arachnoids have their arms replaced with rocket launchers instead of built-in chainguns. As soon as they see the player, they will raise their arms up and fire a burst of rockets.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
Boss[edit | edit source]
- The Arachnoid is able to destroy cover. If cover has been too badly damaged, the player should sprint to another pillar or move to another side of the pillar, depending on their situation.
- If using the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun, reload while behind cover or between Arachnoid bursts.
- The hidden Double Barrel Coach Gun, and XL2 Lasergun found earlier in the campaign are very helpful against the Arachnoid boss. The coach gun does much more damage against the Arachnoid than the regular shotgun, while the lasergun can tear apart the Arachnoid within seconds.
- Remember that there are supplies scattered throughout the arena, so try and grab some while the boss is between minigun blasts if they're needed.
Enemy[edit | edit source]
- When facing off with an Arachnoid, the player's first priority should be to find cover. The Arachnoid can quickly slice up the player because of how many bullets it fires if the player is unable to find cover. It's recommended to shoot the Arachnoid after the machine gun volley is over. Once the Arachnoid has stopped firing, open fire on it until it has been killed.
- One can tell the Arachnoid is about to open fire as soon as it opens its pincers and starts shooting. The player should keep note of this and use it to their advantage whenever they need to find cover.
- The M29 Infantry Assault Rifle is somewhat effective against Arachnoids, but it takes more than an entire magazine to kill one. It is recommended to fire at the Arachnoid after it has fired its guns.
- The AS-24 Devastator or XPML21 Rocket Launcher are very effective against the Arachnoid, but the player needs to be at medium range or closer in order to hit it with the rocket launcher. As most Arachnoids strafe frequently, one is able to dodge slow projectiles, such as rockets from the rocket launcher. The Devastator's projectiles are fast enough that the Arachnoid can't avoid them in time, so the player is free to engage it at nearly any range.
- A C-4 Demolition Charge is also effective against Adult Arachnoids. All it takes is one attached charge to kill an Arachnoid. Without being attached, it will take roughly two or three to kill one depending on how close the Arachnoid was to the detonation.
- Multiple Arachnoids can be dealt with powerful rapid-fire weapons, such as the lasergun and the XM214-A Minigun. The lasergun and minigun can quickly kill Arachnoids because of their high rate of fire and damage per shot. A single charged SBC Cannon shot is enough to kill one, which makes it another effective weapon for groups.
- The Arachnoid is a significant threat when paired with other enemies. Its miniguns can inflict a large amount of damage, even from far away. It should be one of the first enemies targeted so that it can't quickly chip away at the player's health and armor.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Illegally downloaded or cracked versions of Serious Sam 3 have a DRM mechanic that features a miniature invincible Adult Arachnoid that will chase the player. It attacks identically to a regular Adult Arachnoid, but it travels at an extreme speed. Despite being invincible, it can be killed with the "kill all" console command, attacking it enough can also still stun it like a regular enemy.
- Major Slick Stinger, the first boss of Serious Sam's Bogus Detour, is a slightly larger version of the Adult Arachnoid, and is equipped with a chaingun and energy launcher.
- In Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, Adult Arachnoids use the same sounds as the classic Arachnoids rather than their own sounds.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam 3: BFE[edit | edit source]
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam 4