The ASU 7 Automatic Sentry Unit is a stationary sentry weapon used by the Earth Defense Force to guard important and restricted areas on Earth settlements and on extraterrestrial colonies. They only appear in Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope and Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Originally developed to cheaply secure remote properties on extraterrestrial colonies, these sentries became very popular weapons for EDF forces during the Mental War. The XM214-A Minigun is the most popular primary weapon for any ASU; its firepower and extremely high rate of fire can mow down large waves of smaller enemy forces without any assistance from the operator.
A heavy-duty servo mechanism enables the ASU to quickly refocus between two targets in the fraction of a second. An infrared laser scanner can detect moving targets over an adjustable area of operation (about 15 to 20 meters). Unfortunately, the simple and robust aiming system is not capable of discerning foes from friendlies, so it shoots at anything that moves, even Earth Defense Force soldiers or Sam.
Application[edit | edit source]
During the Mental War, the Earth Defense Force deployed ASU 7s to defend strategic points before they became overrun by Mental's forces where they still remain active. They cannot be destroyed by any weapons and can only be deactivated by a switch.
Occurrence[edit | edit source]
They are only encountered in the city of Cairo in No Place to Hide where Sam encounters them still activated and defending the deserted part of the city area while getting pass them to reach Garret's crash site. Later, Sam encounters one during The Dark Bride, which is still defending the temple area, and the minigun on it can be picked up to be used. Several turrets are also seen in Together Forever, where they guard the entrance to an abandoned military base.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Since they cannot be destroyed by any weapons, the only way to shut them down is by switching the lever off that connects to them to deactivate them.
- Observe the sentry's laser movement and their position before making a move.
- The player can also reactivate them back for the use to fend off large waves of enemies or for defending yourself.
- The player can also use the sentries to save up their ammunition.
- The turret the player encounters during The Dark Bride will shoot at Mental's forces. The player should not pick it up until it has finished its assault, otherwise they will waste ammunition and they will have to fend off the enemies by themselves.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is unknown how the minigun never runs out of ammo after being activated for a long period of time, though it is possible that the turret uses a techno-magical ammunition replenisher.
- It takes 3 seconds for a turret to kill the player regardless of their health, and it takes 12 to 15 seconds to kill a Major Bio-mechanoid.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
List of appearances[edit | edit source]